You don’t need a lot to start an exercise routine … these at home workout essentials will cover all your needs!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you haven’t already guessed, this week’s theme is exercise!
Today, I’m sharing everything my favorite at home workout essentials!
I love exercising in the privacy of my own space at my own pace. Gyms are fine, but when you’re at home there’s no weird noises, personal space violations, or hair in the shower drain (ew) to contend with.
The good news is that you don’t need a lot of space, money, or fancy equipment to get started!
The At Home Workout Essentials You Need to Get Started:
- Yoga Mat. Use it for yoga, of course, but also for pilates, to create a non-slip surface, or to add a little cushioning on a hard floor. Look for a mat with a fun color and pattern, like this Gaiam Paisley Flower Printed Yoga Mat (click through for lots of other options, too).
- Water Bottle. Kind of a no brainer, but one thing I’ve found when exercising at home is that it’s easy to get distracted. So keep a water bottle nearby, and you won’t be tempted to run into the kitchen for a drink mid-workout. I like this bkr bottle, which is made of glass and has a colorful silicone sleeve.
- Hand Weights. You only need a few to get started. If you are just starting out, I’d recommend starting with 3, 5, and 8 pound weights. Power Systems’ Delux Vinyl Dumbells are an affordable option.
- Balance Ball. These giant balls are a ton of fun to use! Working with one will help improve your core strength, agility, and balance. You can even use it tone your body in lieu of weights. I have this Gaiam Balance Ball Beginner Kit, which comes with a ball, pump, and an instructional DVD. Check out Real Simple for a 15 Minute Full Body Exercise Ball Workout.
- Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board. This is a bonus item, but if you already own a Wii game system it’s a must! There are lots of options – you can do everything from running obstacle courses to downhill skiing to yoga – and it is so much fun!
- Etc. Once you have these basics, consider adding other items, like resistance bands, a bosu ball (I want one!), or a jump rope.
My Favorite Exercise DVDs
DVDs are a great way to vary your routine and an important part of your at home workout essentials.
There is something for everyone, from belly dancing to barre to dance. These are my faves:
- Leslie Sansone: Walk Away the Pounds. Leslie is a total dork and kind of a cheeseball, but her workouts are fun and challenging (if you put the effort in). This DVD has options for 1, 2, 3, and 4 mile walks.
- Liz Gillies: Mat and Ball Workout. This DVD has three separate routines, all of which incorporate pilates techniques. My favorite is the cardio routine, which will have you bouncing on a balance ball!
- Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. This workout will seriously kick your butt, and you may be tempted to curse at Jillian, but you’ll feel awesome afterward. My advice: pace yourself!
- Ellen Barrett: Fat Burning Fusion. This is a unique workout combining pilates and cardio. The moves seem easy at first, but the repetitions will challenge you. Ellen Barrett is one of my favorite instructors, and she’s made a lot of DVDs. So if you like this one, check out the others, too (I have a bunch!).
- Sara Ivanhoe: Candlelight Yoga. This DVD is the perfect thing to pull out after a stressful day. Turn down the lights in your living room and get ready to relax!
I hope you enjoyed my at home workout essentials!
Check out my “Health” board on Pinterest for even more exercise, diet, and well-being tips!
And make sure to download my Free Printable Food and Fitness Tracker, too!
Do you like to exercise at home or do you belong to a gym?