This Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese is a recipe the whole family will love!
The official start of fall is just a few days away, and that means it time to dig into some comfort food! Here in Texas, the weather does not feel like autumn quite yet … it’s supposed to be 99 degrees today (yuck).
Of course, that means the A/C is cranking, so I can still pretend it’s cool outside and cook some of my fall favorites, like this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese.
There’s nothing better than a big bowl of pasta at this time of year, especially if it’s covered in a decadent cheesy sauce like this amazing recipe is!
You are going to love this delicious Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese. It’s rich, creamy, and full of flavor. And if you’ve never made your own macaroni and cheese before, I think you’ll be surprised at how easy it is, too.
The star of this recipe is the simple, yet flavorful cheddar cheese sauce. You’ll start by making a basic white sauce, then stir in lots of delicious sharp cheddar cheese. Yum! Make sure to use high quality cheese. It will make big difference in the taste of the finished dish.
Instead of traditional macaroni noodles, I used fussili for this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese recipe. I also added broccoli, which adds fresh flavor to the dish and pairs perfectly with the cheddar cheese sauce. I love how the sauce gets caught in all the nooks and crannies of the pasta and broccoli … delicious!
Before baking, you’ll top this macaroni and cheese with seasoned panko breadcrumbs. The panko adds extra flavor and a wonderful crunch to the dish. It’s the perfect finishing touch.
Treat your family to this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese tonight!
- nonstick spray
- 1 lb. fusilli pasta
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- dash cayenne
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup panko
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add fusilli.
- About a minute before the pasta is done cooking, add the broccoli.
- When pasta is done, drain it and the broccoli well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a microwave (or small pot) until warm, about a minute or two. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour, paprika, and cayenne to the butter and cook, stirring constantly, for a couple minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking to avoid lumps.
- Cook mixture until thickened (it should coat a spoon), then add the cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir pasta and broccoli into cheese sauce. Transfer to baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake until hot and lightly browned on top, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
These pictures are making me so hungry. Don’t you just want to dig into this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese right now?
What is your favorite comfort food?
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.