Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sometimes, my husband goes out to pick up dinner, and I tell him to get whatever looks good. I never really know what he’ll bring back, but he knows my taste pretty well and about 95% of the time it’s something really delicious. The other 5%  of the time, I eat it and cross my fingers he won’t get that again!

A couple weeks ago, he came home with the best grilled cheese that I’d had in a long time. I immediately knew that I’d be recreating it, and that’s how this Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich came about.

Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese | Hello Little Home #recipe #sandwichYou are going to love this grilled cheese! It does take a little more effort than the standard American cheese and white bread variety, but not a lot, and it’s definitely worth it.

If you’ve never cooked with broccoli rabe (sometimes called rapini), this recipe is a good place to start. Broccoli rabe has a bitter taste if not cooked properly, so don’t skip the blanching step. It makes all the difference.

Choose a bread with a firm texture and crunchy crust (I used a round Italian loaf) that will stand up to the garlicky broccoli rabe and smoky provolone. Together, these simple ingredients make one great sandwich!

Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch broccoli rabe
  • 2 tsp. olive oil, plus extra for sandwich assembly
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt
  • 8 slices good-quality bread
  • 12 oz. sliced provolone cheese

Instructions

  1. Bring a large pot of water to boil.
  2. When water boils, drop in broccoli rabe and cook for one minute.
  3. Drain broccoli rabe in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool.
  4. Using your hands, squeeze as much water out of the broccoli as possible.
  5. Roughly chop the broccoli, removing large stems.
  6. Heat olive oil in a medium pan.
  7. Saute garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in oil until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  8. Add broccoli rabe to pan and heat through.
  9. Remove pan from heat and season to taste with salt.
  10. Assemble sandwiches:
  11. Place 1.5 oz. of cheese on a slice of bread.
  12. Top cheese with a 1/4 of the broccoli rabe and then another 1.5 oz. of cheese.
  13. Cover cheese with another slice of bread. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
  14. Brush outside of sandwiches with a little olive oil.
  15. Heat a pan over medium heat.
  16. Place sandwiches in pan and cook on one side until golden brown.
  17. Flip and cook on other side until golden.
  18. Remove from pan and serve. Enjoy!
http://hellolittlehome.com/broccoli-rabe-and-provolone-grilled-cheese-sandwich/

Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese | Hello Little Home #recipe #sandwichWhen was the last time you had grilled cheese?

I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as Inspire Me Tuesday, Tweak It Tuesday, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Create & Share, The DIY DreamerMake Bake Create, Work It WednesdayCreative InspirationsCreate It ThursdayPin It ThursdayLink’n BlogsCraft Frenzy FridayInspire Me PleaseFabulous Friday, Frugal FridayI Heart Nap Time, Best of the Weekend, Say G’Day Saturday, Saturday Sparks, Show Stopper SaturdaySaturday Night FeverLink It or Lump ItThink Pink SundayFriday Favorites, and The Scoop.

You may also like

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

This looks like such a yummy sandwich~now I am hungry. Have a great day!

Thanks for the recipe for this sandwich! My family loves broccoli rabe! I pinned and will try sometime!
Julie

Oh boy, this grilled cheese looks incredible Ginnie! Love broccoli rabe and can’t wait to try this – pinning 🙂

We really love broccoli and this is a GREAT sandwich
I’d eat it any time 🙂

Absolutely love broccoli rabe and this looks fantastic! Pinned! Thanks so much for sharing at The Wednesday Roundup! Hope to see you again next week! ~Angela @ LeMoine Family Kitchen

Yum! Like broccoli cheese soup and grilled cheese, all rolled into one! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison
Nancherrow

Oh dear. These look absolutely delightful; I love reinventing classic recipes! :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

Stopping by from Strut Your Stuff link party. What a great way to make it healthier. Going to try this and see if I can sneak it past the kids. Thanks for sharing!

What a healthy sandwich! Thanks for sharing this at my fabulous friday Party
Maria

[…] Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Hello Little Home […]

Oh Ginnie, this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it!

[…] If you like this sandwich, make sure to try my Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese, […]

These look absolutely wonderful

wpDiscuz