To me, the 4th of July equals cookouts. And my favorite part of any barbecue is the dessert. I have a major sweet tooth, so a table filled with pies, cupcakes, ice cream, and other treats makes me really happy. Please tell me I’m not the only one!
If you are still looking for the perfect dessert for the 4th of July, this is it!
These trifles are super easy to put together, and most important, really delicious. Each bite is filled with fresh fruit, creamy “custard,” and delicious cake. And of course, you have your red, white, and blue!
Individual Red, White, and Blue Trifles
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Dash vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 oz. package ladyfingers, or prepared yellow or white cake, broken into small pieces
- 1 pint blueberries
- 4 – 6 small, clear cups
Place strawberries and granulated sugar in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside for about 10 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve.
Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and beat until smooth. I used a stand mixer, but you can use a hand-held mixer or even a whisk, if you don’t mind the arm workout. Add the milk and a dash of vanilla extract to the cream cheese; mix well.
Grab a cup and add a layer of ladyfingers, followed by a dollop of cream cheese. Cover cream cheese with a layer of strawberries. Add another layer of ladyfingers and then another spoonful of cream cheese. Top with blueberries.
Repeat with remaining cups. The size of your cups will determine how many trifles you end up with.
Refrigerate the trifles for at least 4 hours or overnight.
The 4th of July is rapidly approaching, which means parties! I don’t know about you, but I always struggle with what to wear. Although I want to wear a little red, white, and blue, I don’t want to wear the patriotic version of the ugly Christmas sweater.
My plans are pretty laid back this year, so come Thursday, I’ll be wearing a version of this:
This is outfit is perfect for a casual 4th of July BBQ or day at the beach. It strikes just the right balance of festive, but not over-the-top style.
Start by pairing your favorite cut-offs (or denim skirt, if shorts are too casual) with a slouchy t-shirt. I am forever searching for the perfect white tee, and this one from J Crew comes pretty close.
The bright, flowery earrings and striped espadrilles (how cute are they?) add the perfect touch of red. Finish the look with a classic pair of aviators, an oversized watch, and a star-embellished hoodie – you can’t really get more all-American than that, can you? Judging by the weather we’ve been getting in New York, I won’t need a hoodie, but maybe you will!
What are your plans for the 4th of July?
Father’s Day is fast approaching, and if you are anything like me, you’ve waited until the last minute to pick something up.
Don’t worry! I’ve rounded up some great ideas for you.
- For the dad who loves wine, you can’t go wrong with a great bottle. Gundlach-Bundschu (Gun Bun for short) is one of my favorite California wineries, and your dad will love their Cabernet Sauvignon. How About Orange even has a free Father’s Day bottle tag printable to dress up the bottle.
- A stylish dad will like an addition to his wardrobe that he might not buy for himself. Ray Ban Clubmasters are a classic. I actually saw Michael J. Fox in Central Park recently, and he was wearing Clubmasters. If MJF wears them, I’m pretty sure your dad will, too!
- If your dad is trying to get in shape, then he’ll appreciate the Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker. This tiny device clips on to his waistband and tracks steps, distance, and calories burned. He can even compete with his friends throughout the day!
- The music lover or dad who travels frequently would love a pair of Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones. These top-of-the-line headphones are the real deal, and what dad doesn’t like to tune everything out once in a while?
- For the beer lover whose always toyed with making his own brew, this Brooklyn Brew Shop Beer Making Kit is perfect. The kits contains everything your dad needs to make a gallon of light-bodied Belgian Ale.
- If your dad is a whiskey drinker, get him these Dad Whiskey Stones, which are guaranteed to keep his drink cold without making it watery. And splash out and include a nice bottle of whiskey, too – this Redbreast 12 Year Old Whiskey is highly recommended.
- Sports lovers will get a kick out of a vintage style hat, like this Brooklyn Bushwicks Ballcap, which is an authentic reproduction of the 1935 cap worn by the team. Pick your dad’s favorite team and you’re all set.
- The dad who is still a kid at heart will enjoy this Desktop Ping Pong set. Turn any table into a game of ping pong with the kit and enjoy hours of fun!
What are you getting your dad for Father’s Day?