Breakfast has never been my favorite meal, so it’s kind of funny that I’m sharing two breakfast recipes in a row (see my Mango Yogurt Parfait from last week). How did that happen?
I think it’s the eggs. When I was a kid, I refused to eat them unless they were scrambled or hard-boiled. They’ve slowly grown on me over the years, and I’ve even graduated to runny yolks.
These Spicy Black Bean Cakes with Egg, Avocado, and Tomato are one of my favorite ways to show off a beautiful fried egg!
You are going to love these mildly spicy black bean cakes that are packed with healthy vegetables. A fried egg, fresh avocado, and sweet tomatoes complete the dish, which is equally delicious for breakfast and dinner!
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, any color, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans
- 4 oz. shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, quartered or halved
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil (reserve remaining oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and onions to skillet and cook, stirring frequently.
- When peppers and onions are browned around the edges, add garlic, cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes to skillet.
- Stirring constantly, cook until spices and garlic are fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt.
- While peppers and onions are cooking, drain and rinse the black beans.
- Add black beans to a large bowl and mash about 3/4 of the beans.
- When pepper mixture is ready, add it to the beans and stir well.
- Add pepper Jack cheese and cilantro to bean mixture and blend well. Season to taste with salt.
- Shape bean mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add patties to skillet. Cook until browned on one side and then flip.
- While patties cook, spray a small skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Remove eggs from shells and add to small skillet
- Sprinkle eggs with salt and cook until whites are completely set. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place 2 black bean patties on each plate. Top patties with a fried egg and chopped tomatoes and avocado. Sprinkle with additional cilantro, if desired.
Customize the recipe by cooking the eggs your favorite way (scrambled, over easy, etc.). Or, try serving the patties on buns for a delicious black bean burger.
I’m sharing this post with these link parties, as well as The Scoop, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Create & Share, Your Whims Wednesday, Make Bake Create, Work It Wednesday, Create It Thursday, Pin It Thursday, Link’n Blogs, Flaunt It Friday, Craft Frenzy Friday, Be.You.Tiful, Inspire Me Please, Frugal Friday, Best of the Weekend, Say G’Day Saturday, Saturday Sparks, Show-licious Craft & Recipe Party, Saturday Night Fever, Link It or Lump It, Sunday Soiree, and Much Ado About Monday.