Are you a football fan? I have to admit that I only like football parties for two reasons: the friends and the food.
This Cheesy Baked Black Bean has a delicious tomato-avocado salsa topping, and it’s the perfect game day food … or serve it at any party!
My husband is a huge sports fan. He will watch anything, from soccer to baseball to his favorite, football. Me, not so much.
I do like attending sporting events, but I have a hard time sitting down watching a game on TV. Boring!
The dip comes together really quickly. Simply mixed mashed black beans with a blend of spices, tomatoes, chilies, and cheese. If you’re preparing the recipe for a party, you can do this step ahead of time.
Everything gets baked with more cheese, and then topped with a simple tomato-avocado salsa. Served with tortilla chips or your favorite veggies, it’s hearty, yet fresh-tasting!
- 1 (29-oz.) can black beans
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (10-oz.) can Ro*Tel (diced tomatoes and green chilies), drained
- 1 1/4 cups Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain excess liquid off top of beans (do not rinse them).
- Transfer beans to a medium bowl and mash until mostly smooth. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and salt in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add garlic mixture to beans, along with Ro*Tel and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Spread dip in a pie plate.
- Top dip with 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- While dip is baking, mix together tomatoes, avocado, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Top hot dip with tomato-avocado salsa.
- Serve immediately with tortillas chips or veggies. Enjoy!
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.