I think we all know someone who doesn’t like vegetables. There’s one thing that will get almost anyone to eat their veggies though … cheese. Am I right?!?
This Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower Gratin is rich and delicious. It’s the perfect complement to any holiday or winter meal and will be loved by veggie lovers and haters alike!
My husband eats almost anything, but there are few ingredients he likes to avoid, including cauliflower. We been married for a while, and over the years, I’ve gradually worked more cauliflower recipes into our meals. It’s (slowly) growing on him!
He’s still somewhat resistant to this veggie, but I knew that getting him to eat a Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower Gratin wouldn’t take much convincing. It’s covered in an amazing cheddar cheese sauce, after all!
It’s hard to describe the deliciousness of this gratin. Actually, just looking at this pictures is making me crave more.
This recipe took a little work to perfect, but it was worth it. My first attempt involved boiling the cauliflower, and the end result was a little bland. I decided to roast the cauliflower instead, and my second gratin turned out much more flavorful. Success!
While the cauliflower is roasting, you’ll make an easy cheese sauce which gets most of it’s flavor from sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!
The roasted cauliflower is then covered with the cheese sauce, more cheese (!), and crunchy panko breadcrumbs. Everything is baked until hot, bubbly, and irresistibly delicious!
Treat yourself to this amazing Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower Gratin. It’s the perfect addition to any cold weather meal!
- nonstick cooking spray
- large head cauliflower
- 1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut cauliflower into large florets and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle cauliflower with 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Mix well.
- Place baking sheet in oven and roast cauliflower until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic to butter and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir flour into butter with a whisk.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in 2 cups milk.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese into sauce until smooth. (Reserve remaining cheese for assembling gratin.)
- Remove cheese sauce from heat, then season generously to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place panko in a small bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil, then add salt and pepper.
- Stir together well.
- Spray a shallow casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add roasted cauliflower to casserole.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over cauliflower.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over sauce.
- Top gratin with panko.
- Place gratin in oven and bake for until browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Let gratin cool for a few minutes, sprinkle with parsley, and serve. Enjoy!