One of my favorite classic drinks is the Old-Fashioned. I grew up in Wisconsin, where the Old-Fashioned is the unofficial state drink. It’s pretty much all my mom ever ordered, and our house always had a bottle of Canadian Club at the ready.
I tend to associate the Old-Fashioned with winter and old school Wisconsin wood-paneled bars, so a hot, humid summer doesn’t seem like the best time to enjoy one. When I happened to have some whiskey on hand recently, though, I I decided to do a little experimenting.
That’s how I came up with this Cherry Smash Cocktail.
My Cherry Smash Cocktail has some of the qualities of an Old-Fashioned (the cherries … the whiskey … the orange garnish!), but it’s lighter and fresher tasting.
It’s also fun and easy to make with just a few ingredients. I think I found my new summer drink!
- 5 cherries, pitted
- 1 slice orange
- 2 tsp. superfine sugar
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 oz. whiskey
- 5 oz. club soda
- Place 3 cherries, 1/2 of the orange slice, sugar, and 1 thyme sprig in the bottom of a tall glass.
- Use a muddler (or the end of a wooden spoon) to smash cherries and other ingredients.
- Add whiskey to glass and stir well.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add club soda to glass and stir.
- Garnish cocktail with remaining fruit and thyme sprig.
- I used rye whiskey, but any type will work. - When muddling, avoid completely pulverizing the ingredients. Just give them a good smash (hence the name) to bring out the flavors. - Here's how to pit a cherry without a special pitter.
I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as Your Designs This Time, Inspire Me Monday, Lou Lou Girls, Tweak It Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Create & Share, Your Whims Wednesday, Wednesday Roundup, Make Bake Create, Work It Wednesday, Eat. Create. Party!, Create It Thursday, Inspiration2, Pin It Thursday, Link Party Palooza, Saturday Night Fever, and Much Ado About Monday.