There’s nothing I like forward to more on a busy weeknight than a quick, tasty meal. This Curried Veggie, Chickpea, and Quinoa Stir Fry is a delicious option!
The past two days have been nice and cool here. I’ve been waiting for this weather!
Now that the weather is cooling off, so is my apartment. My home has huge windows on one side, which I love, but it sure does get hot in there (even with A/C blasting) during summer. The last thing I wanted to do most days was heat it up even more by cooking!
This Curried Veggie, Chickpea, and Quinoa Stir Fry is exactly what I’ve been craving lately.I started by sauteing the vegetables—onions, red peppers, and yellow squash (sub zucchini, if you wish)—in a hot pan. The veggies cook quickly and get browned around the edges which adds a subtle smokey flavor to the finished dish.
Everything is seasoned with red curry powder and garlic, and then combined with chickpeas, quinoa, and cilantro. Between the beans and the quinoa, this stir fry is packed with protein.
The whole dish comes together fast, and it couldn’t be more delicious!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, quartered and sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. red curry powder (or other curry powder)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Bring broth and quinoa to a boil in a medium pot.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to a low.
- Cook until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork, then recover. Set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and peppers to oil.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to brown around edges.
- Stir squash into skillet and cook until it begins to brown, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow pan to cool for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, curry powder, and salt to pan.
- Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Mix in chickpeas and cook for a minute, or until heated.
- Add cilantro and quinoa to vegetables and stir until well combined.
- Season to taste with additional salt.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Not a curry fan? This meal would be just as delicious made with other seasonings. Try a mixture of fresh herbs, a combination of cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes, or even a blend of soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha … yum!
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.