Lasagna is one of my favorite meals, especially when made in the slow cooker. It really couldn’t get any easier.
This Four Cheese Tomato Basil Crock Pot Lasagna is cheesy, delicious, and super simple to make. It’s sure to become your family’s favorite, too!
Lasagna is one of those meals that you could spend hours preparing, especially if you make a homemade sauce. I’ve definitely been there, but I’m way to lazy to do that very often.
A couple years ago, I discovered that you can make lasagna in a slow cooker, and it made made me so happy. Now, I can enjoy my favorite recipes, like this Four Cheese Tomato Basil Crock Pot Lasagna, as often as I like!
The rich, tasty four cheese filling is made from a mixture of mozzarella, fontina, provolone, and parmesan cheeses, plus ricotta, of course. I didn’t count the ricotta as one of the four cheeses, so I guess it’s technically five cheese lasagna (even better, right?). This filling takes minutes to make, and all that’s required is some stirring and cheese shredding.
Everything gets layered together with lasagna noodles, cooked in the slow cookier, and in a few hours your Four Cheese Tomato Basil Crock Pot Lasagna is ready to enjoy!
- 1 (24-oz.) jar pasta sauce
- handful of basil leaves, chopped (plus more for serving)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (15-oz.) container ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 9 no cook lasagna noodles (I use Barilla.)
- Stir together pasta sauce and basil leaves, plus 1/2 cup water. Taste and add salt, if needed. Set aside.
- Mix together mozzarella, provolone, fontina, and parmesan cheeses. Remove 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture and refrigerate.
- Combine the remaining cheese with the ricotta, egg, garlic clove, and 1 tsp. salt.
- Cover the bottom of your crock pot with 1 cup of the sauce.
- Top sauce with 3 noodles, breaking them to fit, if necessary.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles.
- Cover ricotta with the 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Top sauce with 3 noodles, then another 1/3 of the ricotta. Repeat these layers one more time.
- Pour remaining sauce over lasagna.
- Cover and cook lasagna on medium for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until noodles are tender. (See note about cooking times.)
- Turn off heat, then top lasagna with reserved 1/2 cup cheese.
- Recover lasagna, then let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional basil. Enjoy!
My crock pot is older and cooks at a lower temperature than many newer models. The first time you make this, I recommend checking the lasagna after an hour. You don't want it to cook so fast that the bottom burns before the noodles are cooked. If necessary, reduce the heat setting after an hour.
Since this recipe is fairly basic, you can have fun customizing it to your taste. Add sauteed or roasted vegetables to the sauce, change up the cheese mixture, or substitute the basil with your favorite herbs. Get creative!
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.