One of my all-time favorite recipes, this Green Pizza with Pesto, Feta, Artichokes, and Broccoli, is sure to become your fave, too!
Before moving to New York, my husband and I lived in San Francisco. Our first few weeks there were a little uncomfortable, to say the least. Our furniture was being shipped from Chicago, and we spent a lot of time sitting on our air mattress.
It was February, and after all of our moving expenses, I wasn’t expecting anything special for Valentine’s Day. Our plans were to order pizza and drink some wine. When I opened the pizza box, I was surprised by a heart-shaped pie. It was so sweet and made our night even more special!
That pizza turned out to be one of my San Francisco favorites. We were lucky enough to have a great pizza place around the corner from our apartment, and that was the first time I had their Green Pizza with Pesto, Feta, Artichokes, and Broccoli. It was so delicious that I could have eaten it every day!
Now we’re in New York, and it’s been over a year since I had that Green Pizza. I’m not sure what took me so long, but I finally decided to recreate it.
Give my Green Pizza with Pesto, Feta, Artichokes, and Broccoli a try. I think you’ll love it, too!
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup basil leaves, lightly packed
- 1 cup spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 heads broccoli (not bunches)
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- nonstick spray or olive oil
- 1 14-oz. can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If pizza dough has been refrigerated, remove from the fridge so it can warm up a bit.
- Add walnuts to a small skillet over medium heat; cook until lightly toasted, stirring often. Let cool.
- Combine walnuts, garlic, basil, and spinach in a food processor; process until minced.
- Add Parmesan, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Process until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Cut broccoli into small florets and place in a microwaveable dish with a lid.
- Drizzle with a couple tablespoons water, cover, and microwave until just tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Drain water from broccoli and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray. (I usually put a little oil on the pan, then spread it with a paper towel. That way the oil is distributed evenly, and the paper towel soaks up any excess oil.)
- Place pizza dough on pan and press to the edges of the pan. (If the dough draws back from the edges, let it rest for a few minutes and then press again. Repeat until dough is relaxed and covers the entire pan.)
- Top dough with a thin layer of pesto. (You will have pesto left over; I only used about half.)
- Sprinkle 3/4 of the mozzarella cheese over the pesto.
- Evenly distribute broccoli and artichokes over cheese.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and then sprinkle with feta.
- Bake pizza for 25 to 35 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is lightly golden.
- Let cool slightly, then cut and serve immediately. Enjoy!
P.S. Learn how to turn this pizza into a Heart-Shaped Pizza, just like I enjoyed during my first San Francisco Valentine’s Day!