I don’t know about you, but I did a lot of indulging during the holidays. Between cookies, eggnog, rich meals, and more, I am ready to eat a little lighter. Salads it is, for a while at least!
It was really delicious, but I couldn’t wait to get home and put my own spin on the recipe. I changed some of the ingredients, created a new dressing, and the result – a Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Maple Vinaigrette – is the perfect thing to get me back on a healthy track.
This Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Maple Vinaigrette is full of nutrient-rich vegetables, sweet fruit, and toasted nuts. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. This is my kind of healthy eating!
The key to a good kale salad is softening the greens up a bit. It sounds silly, but after adding the dressing, get in there with your hands and massage it into the kale and Brussels sprouts. This will help the vinaigrette penetrate and soften the greens.
Speaking of the salad dressing, this Maple Vinaigrette is so good! It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and perfectly pulls all the flavors of this kale salad together.
Even my Brussels sprout-hating husband loves this salad, so don’t rule it out if you’re not a fan of those mini cabbages. It won’t remind you of the overcooked Brussels sprouts you grew up with at all … I promise!
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1 large apple
- Place pecans in a frying pan and heat over medium.
- Cook pecans, stirring frequently, until they begin to color. Watch them closely so they don't burn.
- Remove from heat and chop. Set aside.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Trim ends from Brussels sprouts and remove any brown leaves.
- Thinly slice sprouts and place in a large bowl, gently separating the leaves as you do so.
- Remove kale leaves from stems and thinly slice. Add to Brussels sprouts.
- Pour vinaigrette over Brussels sprouts and kale.
- Using your hands, massage vinaigrette into kale mixture. Let sit for about 10 minutes to soften greens.
- Halve grapes.
- Core and chop apple.
- Add grapes, apple, and pecans to kale. Mix well.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
!Here's a tip for quickly and easily removing kale stems from the leaves. Starting at the stem end, separate a little of the leaf on either side of the stem. Grab the stem with your hand and quickly pull your hand down the stem, removing the leaf as you go.
I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as Much Ado About Monday, Tutorials & Tips, Tweak It Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday, I Heart Naptime, Saturday Sparks, and Lou Lou Girls.