My husband Joel’s best friend moved to London when they were teens. These two guys share a very unique sense of humor and are pretty much joined at the hip (still), so it was a little traumatic for them. Luckily, my husband was able to spend the whole summer in England visiting his friend. Doesn’t that sound like the best summer ever?
One of the things he was introduced to in England was the shandy, which is a beer combined with soda or carbonated lemonade. Shandies are low in alcohol, can be purchased ready-made, and are commonly served to kids. Joel served me the drink years later, and it was love at first sip.
Now I don’t recommend serving this to children here in the U.S., but if you are looking for a refreshing summer drink, then you’ve got to try my Lemonade Shandy!
Shandies traditionally combine beer with a carbonated beverage, but I like to use homemade lemonade. The result is a fresh-tasting, lemony, low-alcohol cocktail that I could drink all day long. Give it a try! I think you’ll love it, too.
- 6 12 oz. bottles or cans of beer, refrigerated
- 4 lemons, plus additional for garnish
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Combine sugar with 6 cups of very warm water (from the faucet is fine) in a large pitcher.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Cut lemons in half and juice them. Add juice to the pitcher and stir well.
- Thinly slice the peel from one of the lemons
- Add peel to the lemonade and stir.
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Add enough lemonade to fill half the glass.
- Top lemonade off with beer.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon, if desired. Enjoy!
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my Burt’s Bees giveaway!
I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as Much Ado About Monday, Tutorials & Tips, Lou Lou Girls, Inspire Me Monday, Inspire Me Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds, The Scoop, Tweak It Tuesday, The Makers, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Create & Share, Make Bake Create, Work It Wednesday, Creative Inspirations, Create It Thursday, Pin It Thursday, Flaunt It Friday, Craft Frenzy Friday, Inspire Me Please, Fridays Unfolded, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Say G’day Saturday, Saturday Sparks, Saturday Showlicious, Skip the Housework, Showstopper Saturday, Saturday Night Fever, and Inspiration Monday.