This blog post has been compensated by Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. All opinions are mine alone. #LaVaquitaCheese #CollectiveBias #Ad
Start your day right with these crunchy, delicious Mexican Breakfast Tostadas!
I never skip breakfast, but I tend to be somewhat of a broken record. My usual breakfast is an egg sandwich (or overnight oats) with iced coffee … pretty much every day. I love this simple morning routine, but once in awhile I like to make a meal that’s a little more exciting.
One way that I change things up is by adding a delicious Mexican twist to ordinary breakfast foods, like scrambled eggs. It’s easy to do with the right ingredients, like crunchy tostadas, homemade refried beans, and tasty La Vaquita® Queso Fresco.
My favorite breakfast lately are these yummy Mexican Breakfast Tostadas. They’re the perfect way to shake up your morning routine!
The first step is making the tostadas from corn tortillas. It couldn’t be easier to bake the homemade tostadas, but if you want to skip a step, you can find ready made tostadas in many grocery stores.
The crunchy tostadas get topped with my easy and delicious homemade refried black beans, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, and avocado. A sprinkle of queso fresco and a few dashes of hot sauce complete the dish. The whole meal takes minutes to make and is so tasty!
The perfect finishing touch for these yummy Mexican Breakfast Tostadas is La Vaquita® Queso Fresco, which I found at Kroger. A generous crumble of this fresh cheese, that’s hand wrapped in Texas, is an easy way to add authentic Mexican flavor to any recipe.
I love the story (which represents traditions handed down through generations of Mexican homestead cheese-makers) behind La Vaquita®! In 1971, Maria Castro, who newly emigrated from the state of San Luis Potosi, Mexico began making queso fresco in her Houston home. Her artisanal, small-batch process was based on a recipe she learned from her grandmother on their family farm in Mexico. Word quickly spread among friends and neighbors about the authenticity and quality of Maria’s cheese and requests for it began to trickle in.
Since then, La Vaquita® has helped define how Hispanic cuisine is enjoyed in Texas, and their wonderful cheese (a range of quesos, as well as crema) continues to bring delicious, authentic flavor to everything it touches—from dishes prepared in home kitchens to chef-crafted culinary creations.
Queso fresco is a mild tasting, fresh cheese that’s meant for crumbling (not melting). Try crumbling a little La Vaquita® Queso Fresco on your favorite dish for a little Mexican flair!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 4 oz. La Vaquita® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet in a single layer (use more than one pan if necessary).
- Bake tortillas for 3 to 4 minutes, flip, and continue cooking until crisp (another 3 to 4 minutes).
- Cool tortillas on a wire rack.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Discard a little liquid from top of the beans, then add beans to pan.
- Mash about 1/2 of the beans, then stir well.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, then cook beans until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add a little water if they get too thick.
- Season to taste with salt.
- While beans are cooking, heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Season beaten eggs with salt and pepper, then add to pan and scramble.
- Top tostadas with black beans, then eggs, tomato, and avocado.
- Sprinkle tostadas with queso fresco.
- Serve with hot sauce. Enjoy!
Check out the La Vaquita® website, or follow them on Facebook, for more recipes and to learn about their queso fresco, as well as their other quesos and cremas. And stop by your local grocery store to pick up La Vaquita® Queso Fresco for my Mexican Breakfast Tostadas recipe … make sure to check your Ibotta app for a discount, too!