It isn’t Christmas in my home without making these Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes at least once!
This post contains affiliate links.
Do you have a favorite holiday cookie recipe? I have three that I have to make every year: Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies, Nona’s Pecan Fingers, and these Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes. It’s a trifecta of Christmas cookie goodness!
I absolutely adore these Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes! Although they’re not really a cookie, these mini cupcakes go right on the tray with my other faves, and they’re the perfect bite-sized sweet that any cheesecake lover will flip for. My mom made these tasty treats every Christmas, and I’m happy to carry on the tradition.
These mini cupcakes have a couple delicious components that set them apart: a luscious chocolate chip cheesecake and a rich chocolate cake batter. Thankfully, both are quick and easy to make from simple ingredients.
I could practically make these Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes in my sleep, but I made a last minute substitution this year that you may want to try, too. I’m kind of a disorganized cook, and as I was gathering my ingredients, I realized that I didn’t have the vegetable or canola oil that the recipe calls for.
Instead of running to the store, I substituted coconut oil, and it worked perfectly. Since I don’t regularly use vegetable oil, I’ll probably substitute coconut oil from now on.
These Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes aren’t difficult to make, but preparing them assembly line style makes the process faster and easier. Prep the cheesecake and cake batter first, then set out the nuts if you’re using them. You’ll also need a mini muffin pan (get a couple to save time) and cupcake liners (Wilton makes an awesome selection!).
Add the liners to the muffin pans, the add the cake batter to each liner. Next, add the chocolate chip cheesecake filling. Finally, sprinkle with the nuts and bake.
I have to admit that I skip (or forget) the nuts most years, but after adding them this year, I won’t do that again. The flavorful, crunchy nuts definitely add the perfect finishing touch!
Each bite of these Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes is a burst of creamy cheesecake surrounded by rich chocolate cake … yum! Make them for your family and friends this holiday season or any time of year!
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 (12-oz.) package chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable, canola, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup ground nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, mix cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in egg, sugar, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add water, oil, and vanilla to flour mixture, and stir until combined.
- Line a mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners.
- Fill each cup 1/3 full with chocolate mixture and then top with 1 tsp. of the cheesecake.
- Sprinkle with ground nuts, if desired.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or just until set. Do not overbake.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
The yield for this recipe will vary depending on how big you make your cupcakes. To get 100 cupcakes, err on the side of adding less batter and cheesecake to each liner. The cupcakes will puff up as they bake and don't need to be filled to the top.
Leftover cupcakes freeze very well in an airtight bag or container. Remove them from the freezer about 1/2 hour before you plan to serve them.
P.S. Check out all of my Christmas recipes, crafts, gift guides, and decor ideas here!
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.