I love taking advantage of fresh summer berries at this time of year. They are just so sweet and tasty.
These Mini Fruit Pizza Cookies take full advantage of both of my faves!
Fruit Pizza was one of those desserts my mom made (multiple times) every summer. It was definitely a classic in our home, and something I always looked forward to.
Her recipe was delicious, but somehow, I never collected it.
I had a craving for fruit pizza recently, and since I didn’t have a recipe, I decided to come up with my own. My recipe combines some of my favorite ingredients – shortbread, cream cheese frosting, and fresh fruit – for a super delicious result.
These Mini Fruit Pizza Cookies are so easy to make. You’ll start with a homemade shortbread base. It only takes a few ingredients to make, but you wouldn’t know it from the rich, buttery flavor. Instead of making one big cookie pizza, I shaped my shortbread into three mini pizzas. Each pizza gets baked and then divided into eight mini wedges.
As far as I’m concerned, cream cheese frosting makes anything better. So of course, that’s what I topped my cookie wedges with. It’s so good, plus the frosting holds all the fruit in place.
Speaking of fruit, I kept it simple and used strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi fruit. Kiwi is one of those fruits I pretty much never eat … I’m not sure why. My mom always put it on her fruit pizza though, so I had to include it. It definitely adds a pretty touch to these Mini Fruit Pizza Cookies, but feel free to decorate them with whatever fruit you’d like.
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lb. strawberries
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 kiwi
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray lightly with nonstick spray.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer
- Use the paddle attachment to blend until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and salt to butter mixture and combine well, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour flour into bowl and, starting slowly, mix well to combine.
- Divide dough into three equal pieces.
- Place one piece of dough on a baking sheet.
- Press dough into a circle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a knife to cut the circle in half, then quarters, then eights. Do not separate triangles.
- Repeat with remaining dough. You should have 3 1/4-inch thick circles.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove shortbread from oven and immediately cut each circle into 8 pieces, following the lines you created earlier.
- Allow shortbread to cool completely before proceeding.
- While shortbread is baking, prepare frosting.
- Wipe out mixing bowl from shortbread and add cream cheese.
- Use the paddle attachment to beat cream cheese until completely smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla to cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly pour in heavy cream.
- Gradually increase speed and mix until frosting can hold a soft peak.
- Refrigerate frosting until ready to use.
- Hull and slice strawberries. Peel and slice kiwi.
- Frost cookies generously with cream cheese frosting.
- Decorate with strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi.
- To serve, arrange cookies in a pizza shape.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
This recipe makes three mini pizzas, or 24 Fruit Mini Pizza Cookies, making it the perfect recipe for serving at a party!
My favorite thing about making these cookies was decorating them. They are just so incredibly cute, and best of all, it didn’t take a lot of effort on my part!
What is your favorite way to eat summer fruit?