When I lived in San Francisco, the weather was fairly consistent year round, and I didn’t need to make many seasonal changes to my beauty products. Things are definitely different here in New York! This summer, I was dealing with melting makeup and super oily skin, but now that it’s fall, my skin has gotten very dry.
To combat this, I’ve added a few new products to my arsenal, so I thought I’d share some of my recent favorites.
- I’ve been using Abba Pure Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner for a while now, and although I’ve tried other brands here and there, this is my favorite. I have fine hair with an oily scalp and dry ends, and this shampoo and conditioner leave my hair soft and shiny without weighing it down. Plus, it’s 100% vegan and free of synthetic dyes and sulfates.
- This is kind of a random one, but I thought I’d throw it in here. My skin is sensitive, and I’m prone to razor burn. I recently switched to Schick Hydro Silk Razors and couldn’t be happier. They are very moisturizing and don’t irritate my skin, so much so that I do not even need to use shaving cream.
- The current cold, dry weather sucks the moisture right out of my arms and legs (itch alert!). I’ve been applying the super-rich Kiehl’s Creme de Corps after showering, and it keeps my skin soft all day.
- I received a sample pack of Honest Company products, and this Healing Balm is my favorite so far. It’s full of all-natural organic oils, extracts, and beeswax and can be used for everything from dry skin and eczema to diaper rash. I’ve been using it on my feet and love it.
- I normally use an oil cleanser on my face, but when my last supply ran low I decided to try making my own. Big mistake! Not only did I break out, but it actually made my oily skin dry and flaky (acne plus dry, flaky skin is pretty much the worst combination). About the same time, I received a sample of Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser in my monthly Birchbox, and I’ve been using it ever since. This is a cool product: you apply the cleanser to remove makeup and dirt, and then you remove it with a muslin cloth that gently exfoliates your skin. It’s creamy and moisturizing but doesn’t make my skin break out. Perfect!
- Orly Bonder is a game-changer for me. I love painting my nails, but my at-home manicures never seem to last more than a day (if I’m lucky). This unique base coat – the bottle says it’s rubberized – does exactly what it sounds like it will: it bonds polish to your nails. Now my manis last days, not hours.
- Another recent winner is Yes to Blueberries’ Age Refresh Cleansing Facial Towelettes. I’m vigilant about always washing my face at night (see above references to oily, acne-prone skin), but these towelettes are great for lazy mornings. They clean and moisturize my skin without leaving behind any residue like some cleansing cloths can.
- I’m definitely an eyeliner girl, and I love Julep’s Kajal Eye Glider. It’s dual-ended with brown liner on one side and black on the other. The liner applies very smoothly with no tugging and blends really well (perfect for a smoky eye).
By the way … have you heard of the Julep Maven program? It’s a monthly box of beauty (you can get the first month free). The thing I like about Julep versus Birchbox, which I also subscribe to, is that you get to preview the monthly box. If you like the box, just wait for it to come in the mail, but if you don’t like it, you can either change the contents or skip a month. Plus, it comes with full-size products, so it’s a great deal.
- Mèreadesso’s All-In-One Moisturizer is another product that I received as a sample size. It is the best moisturizer that I’ve ever tried, but when I went to purchase it the other day there was a problem. A full-sized moisturizer costs … wait for it … $120! I was very sad to discover this, because I really love this product. It’s kind of like trying on the perfect wedding dress that you can’t afford to buy! I’ve linked to the travel-size here, which is more affordable but still crazy expensive for such a small size. What to do?!?
Have you discovered any great products lately?
I’m linking up with My Girlish Whims’ Your Whims Wednesday, Get Your Pretty On’s I Feel Pretty, The Life of the Party’s Fashion Informant, Vodka Infused Lemonade’s Tres-Chic Fashion Thursday, Simply Lulu Style’s What I’m Loving Friday, Style Elixir’s Friday’s Fab Favorites, Suburbs Mama’s Sunday Link Party, and Karly Kim’s Totally Posted Tuesday.