This post is sponsored by Epicurious. All opinions are my own. #epicurious #outofthekitchen
These Quick Tofu Tacos with Crunchy Veggie Slaw take minutes to make and are absolutely delicious. They’re the perfect weeknight meal!
One of my favorite places to grab a bite in NYC is Tacoway Beach. It’s very casual, little more than a food stand really, but everything tastes so good!
Although there’s always a crowd, each taco is made to order, and the ingredients are super fresh. I love the personal touches they put into every taco they serve. Don’t you just want to take a bite of that taco and agua fresca below?
It’s touches like these that bring me back to a restaurant again and again, and it’s also what drew me to Bon Appetit’s Out of the Kitchen series, an ongoing exploration of the relationships that build and sustain the food industry.
When Epicurious challenged me to think about the importance of personal service, I immediately thought of Tacoway Beach. Like I mentioned earlier, it’s a simple place, but each item on their menu is made with care.
Their Tofu Tacos are my favorite. I know, a tofu taco doesn’t necessarily sound that appetizing, but believe me when I say they are wonderful! Each taco is filled with savory grilled tofu, topped with crunchy veggie slaw, and served with a fresh lime wedge for squeezing over the top.
These Quick Tofu Tacos with Crunchy Veggie Slaw are just as good as the original, plus they only take minutes to make (no two hour subway ride necessary).
I used baked tofu, which is full of flavor and has a firm texture. There’s no mushy, flavorless filling here! The tacos are topped with a zesty tri-color veggie slaw that’s just as good in these tacos as it is served on its own. Crunchy radishes, cilantro leaves, and a squeeze of juicy lime are the perfect finishing touches!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 limes
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 (7-oz.) packages baked tofu
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 2 radishes, sliced paper thin
- cilantro leaves, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrot. Mix well.
- Cut 1 lime in half. Set one half aside, then slice the remaining half into two wedges. Cut the whole lime into four wedges.
- Squeeze the lime half over the cabbage mixture. (Set aside lime wedges for serving.)
- Drizzle cabbage with 2 tsp. olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste. Stir well and set aside.
- Remove tofu from package and cut into 12 rectangles.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan.
- Add tofu to pan and cook on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove tofu from pan and place on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add a tortilla to the pan and cook until warmed on one side. Flip and cook until heated through. It should only take about 30 seconds per tortilla.
- Place tortilla on a plate and top with 2 pieces of tofu.
- Cover tofu with slaw, then sprinkle with radishes and cilantro leaves to taste.
- Repeat process with remaining tacos.
- Serve tacos immediately, garnished with a lime wedge. Enjoy!
Want to meet purveyors who are making a difference with their customers? Check out BonAppetit.com’s “Out of the Kitchen”, an ongoing exploration of the relationships that build and sustain the food industry. See how hyper-local food markets operate and how their focus on quality and service keep customers coming back for more.