This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie is a delicious twist on the Southern classic! Bursting with fresh summer flavors, you’ll want to enjoy this delicious recipe all season long!
Have you ever eaten something unexpected and then couldn’t stop thinking about it?
A couple years ago, my husband and I went to a dinner party, and one of the dishes our hosts served was a tomato pie. I’d never had tomato pie before (apparently, it’s a Southern thing), but it was absolutely amazing.
It was the peak of summer. The tomatoes were bursting with flavor, and the rich, savory pie was the perfect way to show them off.
I’ve been meaning to recreate that pie ever since, and I finally did! This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie is a fun twist on a classic tomato pie.
Feta is one of my favorite cheeses, and I will use it in just about anything. So when I decided to create this Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie, I knew that Nikos® feta would make it extra delicious.
This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie is filled with layers of wonderful flavor, and it’s easy to make. Since tomatoes contain a lot of water, I started by slicing and draining the tomatoes in a colander. If your tomatoes are extra juicy, you can remove the seeds, too.
Then, I sauteed some onions and made an easy pie crust. It’s totally fine to use a premade crust, but it won’t be as good … just saying!
Before baking, you’ll add a layer of mayonnaise and mozzarella cheese. Does that sounds weird? I promise that you won’t taste the mayonnaise in the finished pie. It melts into the tomatoes and makes the pie truly delicious.
So grab those summer tomatoes and make this Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie tonight!
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 - 4 tbsp. ice water
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (6-oz.) package crumbled Nikos Feta cheese (traditional flavor)
- handful of basil leaves, julienned
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and layer in a colander to drain, sprinkling each layer with salt. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add the flour and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Cut butter into cubes and add to flour. Pulse into well combined.
- Sprinkle flour mixture with a couple tablespoons of water. Pulse until a dough forms, adding more water (one tbsp. at a time), if necessary.
- Remove dough from food processor. Shape into a ball, then flatten it into a disk.
- Cover dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until browned.
- Stir garlic into onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Season with salt and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Take tomatoes out of colander and blot dry with paper towels.
- Combine mayonnaise and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and roll it out about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place the dough in a pie pan and trim any excess dough from the edges.
- Cover bottom of pie with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Top mozzarella with onions.
- Place a layer of tomatoes over the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle half the feta over the tomatoes.
- Cover the feta with half of the basil.
- Add another layer of tomatoes, salt, pepper, feta, and basil (in that order).
- Cover the basil with a final layer of tomatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the top of the pie.
- Place pie in oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until top of pie and crust are a deep golden brown.
- Let pie cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve. Enjoy!
This make a very juicy pie. For a less watery pie, remove the tomato seeds before slicing them. Also, if you use feta that has been packed in water, drain it very well before adding to the pie.
This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie may just be the perfect summer meal. Simply add a salad and a glass of wine, and dinner is served!
Make sure to stop by the Nikos® website for delicious recipes, plus get wine and beer pairing suggestions that perfectly match the rich flavors of their specialty cheeses. Then, follow Nikos® on Facebook and Pinterest for even more recipes and to find out about the latest promotions, contests, and more!
What is your favorite way to use feta cheese?