A good veggie burger is one of those meals that always makes me happy.
I’ve eaten my fair share of the frozen kind, and there may even be some in my freezer right now! A homemade veggie burger is even better though, especially since I can control what’s in them (no mystery ingredients).
I love experimenting with recipes, and these Smokey Black Bean Edamame Burgers are my newest favorite!
These burgers are full of healthy ingredients – quinoa, sauteed vegetables, and edamame – that just happen to taste great, too. Mashed black beans, a little flour, and an egg hold everything together.
I wanted the veggie burgers to have a smokey flavor, so I seasoned them with smoked paprika and cumin, as well as oregano and a little crushed red pepper flakes. The spices give the burgers a wonderful taste, especially when topped with melted cheddar cheese and a “secret” sauce.
All of these ingredients work together to make an irresistible veggie burger. Just pair these Smokey Black Bean Edamame Burgers with some fries, and you have a delicious meal!
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup edamame (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 green onion, minced
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. barbeque sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 burger buns
- tomato slices
- Combine quinoa, 1 cup water, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small saucepan.
- Bring water to boil, cover pan and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cook quinoa until tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and red pepper to pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until browned and softened.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow pan to cool slightly.
- Stir garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp. salt into pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Mash black beans into a paste.
- Combine black beans, flour, egg, quinoa, and onion/red pepper. Mix well.
- Carefully stir edamame and green onion into black bean mixture.
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Shape black bean mixture into 4 patties and add to skillet.
- Cook burgers until browned on one side, then flip.
- Top burgers with cheddar cheese.
- Continue cooking burgers until browned on bottom and cheese is melted.
- While burgers are cooking, mix together mayonnaise, barbeque sauce, and garlic clove.
- Serve burgers on buns with lettuce and tomato, topped with mayonnaise/barbeque sauce. Enjoy!
I love building the perfect burger … yum!
These Smokey Black Bean Edamame Burgers would be a great addition to a summer barbeque!If you are serving a vegan guest, a few changes will make these burgers work. Just replace the egg, cheese, and mayonnaise with vegan substitutes, and you are all set!
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.