Know a kid who loves to create? Surprise them with their very own Personalized Painter’s Palette for Kids!
I’m super excited to bring back my holiday gift guide series this week. Each day, I’m sharing a gift you can make, plus an accompanying guide for gifts you can purchase … I like to think of these daily posts as my Buy or DIY Gift Guides!
Today I’m sharing a tutorial for a DIY Kids Fishing Game, plus a kids gift guide!
With the holidays just around the corner, I’m getting into the seasonal spirit. I love making DIY gifts for my friends and family, as well as shopping for just the perfect thing. So every day this week, I’ll be sharing an easy DIY gift along with a fun gift guide.
Today, I have a super simple DIY Kids Treasure Box tutorial, plus a Kids Gift Guide!
Best of all, it’s super easy to make. The box I made for my niece took just a couple hours, and most of that time was spent waiting for paint to dry. I chose bright, girly colors, but the Treasure Box can be customized to fit any kid. Use their favorite colors inside and out.
Scroll to the end of the post for the step-by-step tutorial!
- Melissa & Doug Wooden Car Carrier. I love brightly colored, classic wooden toys!
- Harmonica. Encourage your little musician with this retro favorite!
- Finger Monsters. These mini monsters are the perfect inexpensive stocking stuffer.
- Karaoke System with Disco Lights. A star is born! This fun system has audio voice controls to enhance kids’ voices, a customizable disco-light show, and dual microphone jacks for duets!
- Nails, Nails, Nails. Give nail art lovers this fun book filled with professional techniques. They’ll learn everything from leopard to plaid to lace and more!
- Bear in Underwear. What kid wouldn’t get a kick out of a stuffed animal in tighty whities?
- Play Visions ‘Snowtime Snowballs’. Have an awesome snowball fight without a storm … or tears!
- Hedgehog Coin Purse. This cute coin purse makes a sweet stocking stuffer.
- Cupcake Lip Gloss. Lip gloss + cupcakes = a match made in heaven!
- Art 101 154-Piece Tri-Fold Easel Art Set. Budding artists will be so excited to open this huge kit!
- Paper Airplanes Mega Pack. This cool gift has instructions for how to fold Egret, Pipit, Swallow, and Condor airplanes, as well as more than 275 sheets of paper in unique designs and prints.
- Lacy Fashion Tattoos. These temporary tattoos are super popular right now and would make a great gift for a teen/tween.
- Pass the Pigs. This is one of my favorite games! It’s sure to have your whole family laughing as they roll the dice … err, pigs!
- Pocket Microscope. This powerful, pint size microscope reveals clear, sharp focus at 30x magnification. Guaranteed to fascinate the junior scientist.
- Sleepover Party Mad Libs. Mad Libs are still as fun as they were when you were young!
- Smart Phone Projector. This lo-fi smartphone projector magnifies up to 8x for a large picture that your kids can enjoy anywhere.
- Selfie on a Stick. This goofy gift extends from 9 to 44-inches, making it easy for the selfie obsessed to snap the perfect pic.
- The Art of Tangling: Drawing Book and Kit. Kids will love creating whimsical pieces of art using this inspirational 40-page project book and professional-quality materials!
- Fashion Angel Tapefitti Tape Caddy. This set has 60 rolls of Tapefitti – it sticks to almost any surface and lifts without residue – perfect for decorating pencils, customizing notebooks, making fun fashion accessories, and more!
Want to make your own DIY Kids Treasure Box?
- wood box – these come in a ton of shapes and sizes!
- 4 push pins
- craft paint
- paint palette
- foam paint brush
- flat and angled paint brushes
- silver maker
- black fine point Sharpie
Start by pressing push pins into the bottom corners of the box. This will raise the box while you’re painting it, allowing it to dry without sticking to anything.
Let paint dry and add more coats, if needed. I used three thin coats to get the coverage I wanted.
Let this edge dry completely before closing the box.
Trim down the paper and tape it to the top of your box. Trace over the black lines with the pen, pressing hard. Then remove the paper. You should have an indentation around the letters.
This box is completely customizable. You can decorate it further with more paint, gems, stickers, and other fun items. Have fun!
I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as I Heart Naptime, Say G’Day, Much Ado About Monday, Tutorials & Tips, Lou Lou Girls, Inspire Me Tuesday, The Scoop, Tweak It Tuesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday, and Saturday Sparks.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something from one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I love, and your purchase helps to support the free content offered on Hello Little Home (thank you so much!).
This DIY Bubble Wand is an easy and super fun project that will keep your kids busy all summer!
As much as I enjoy exploring the amazing city I live in and hanging out with friends, I truly love spending time at home. A little quiet time in my apartment reading, cooking, or crafting helps me to relax and recharge. Do you know what I mean?
Given my love of home, I thought it would be fun to put together a gift guide full of things that can be enjoyed at home (or nearby in the case of the sled). There’s a little something for everyone!
- Fun Phone Charger. Jonathan Adler’s Universal Smart Phone Dock is a cheeky desk accessory for someone who is always glued to their phone.
- Reminder of a Favorite Place. My husband, who misses our former hometown of San Francisco, would love this beautiful San Francisco Seriograph by Hero Design. Similar prints are available for Brooklyn, Chicago, and Philadelphia, too.
- Recipe Collection. Any cook will adore this lovely Recipe Box from Rifle Paper Company. It comes with 12 letterpressed dividers and 24 recipe cards. Personalize it by including your favorite recipe on one of the cards!
- Feast for Fido. Don’t forget to pamper your pooch! Your pet will jump for joy over this Bow WOW Sampler Tray which contains over 1.5lbs of all-natural dog treats.
- Game for the Family. Bring everyone together with an old-fashioned board game. Pass the Pigs is one of my favorites. Instead of rolling dice, you roll a pair of pigs and gain or lose points based on their landing position. It’s guaranteed to make everyone laugh!
- Winter Classic. Treat the kids (actual or at-heart) to a beautiful, handmade Toboggan from Mountain Boy Sledworks. My sister and I had a similar toboggan as kids. It was always fun to see how many friends could squeeze on, and how many we lost on our way down the hill!
- Cup of Coffee. Your favorite coffee fiend will love the Starbucks Coffee Weekender, which includes a package of Espresso Roast whole bean coffee, a stainless steel Bodum coffee press, and an 8-week digital subscription to The New York Times.
- The Perfect Pan. A Le Creuset French Oven is the stuff cooks dream of. Although pricey, it will last a lifetime, guaranteeing you a lot of good meals!
- Heirloom Popper. The Healthy Popcorn Popper from Jacob Bromwell is a gift the whole family will enjoy. It can be used on the stove or over an open fire and requires no oil (feel free to add butter before serving though!). The popper has a great story, too: it’s made by the oldest kitchenware manufacturer in the US; it’s in its 190th year of production; and it has maintained its original design since it was introduced in the early 1800s. I love that!
- Fit for a Foodie. This Sea Salt Gift Set is a unique present for someone who appreciates the finer things. It combines fancy Maldon Sea Salt (a favorite of mine – perfect for salted caramel) and a beautiful, handcrafted Olivewood Salt Keeper which has a magnetic swivel lid that allows for one-handed access.
- Fun Frame. Share a favorite photo from an important event in a sweet frame, like Kate Spade’s ‘Pierrepont Place Spots’ Frame. Your mom or grandmother will treasure it.
- Pride of Place. A Custom Stamp Gift Box is the ideal gift for a loved one who has just made a big move. It includes a self-inking stamper, a black ink cartridge, and a gift certificate that allows the recipient to customize the stamp plate with their new address.
- Satisfy a Sweet Tooth. Candy lovers will go crazy for the 1980’s Time Capsule from Dylan’s Candy Bar. This tower of treats is filled with everything from Airheads to Big League Chew. Throw in a few pics from back in the day to make things really fun! Time Capsules are also available for the 1920’s, 1950’s, and 1960’s.
- Swedish Treat. The baker in your life will love this 6 Piece Rosette and Timbale Set (throw in the Cookie Mix, too). Timbales are a traditional Swedish treat made by dipping a hot rosette iron into a batter and then frying the batter on the rosette. The result is a beautifully shaped cookie that is delicious served hot with powdered sugar. Yum!
Have you finished your holiday shopping? Who is the trickiest person on your list?
P.S. Come back tomorrow for a giveaway from Novica!