Summer is almost here, and these mouthwatering veggie burger recipes will keep you satisfied all season long!
The heat and humidity have officially settled in here, and I’ll pretty much do anything to avoid standing over a hot stove. Which means that I’m continually on the hunt for no cook summer recipes.
One thing I always love eating in summer is a delicious sandwich. They’re so easy to throw together, and you can really get creative with ingredients. After making my Chinese Chopped Salad last week, I had some leftover ingredients that I decided to turn into a sandwich.
The result is this Mexican Black Bean Wrap with Avocado and Tri-Color Slaw.
This Mexican Black Bean Wrap is filled with delicious mashed beans and avocado (no cheese necessary). I used those leftover ingredients to create a super tasty tri-color slaw. The crunchy slaw pairs perfectly with the creamy beans and avocado, and a tortilla holds everything together.
Try this recipe during your next heat wave or sooner!
- 1/4 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 avocado
- 4 large tortillas
- Combine cabbage, carrots, red pepper, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Toss lightly.
- Cut lime in half. Slice one-half into four wedges. Set aside.
- Juice the other lime half. Add the juice to the vegetables, along with the olive oil, cumin, and salt.
- Mix slaw well. Set aside.
- Drain black beans lightly but do not rinse. Place them in a medium bowl.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to the black beans. Using a potato masher, mash the beans and spices together until the beans are about 3/4 smashed.
- Stir beans well. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary. Set aside.
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit.
- Use a spoon to remove avocado from peel and then slice about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface. Spread center of tortilla with 1/4 of the black beans.
- Top beans with 1/4 of the sliced avocado.
- Spoon 1/4 of the slaw over the avocado.
- Fold up tortilla like a burrito.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make four wraps.
- Serve wraps with lime wedges. Enjoy!
If your tortillas are stiff, microwave them for 15 seconds before assembling your wraps.
I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as Much Ado About Monday, Inspiration Monday, Inspire Me Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday, The Scoop, Tweak It Tuesday, Lou Lou Girls, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Brag About It, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday, Make Bake Create, I Heart Nap Time, Eat. Create. Party!, Creative Inspirations, Create It Thursday, Inspiration2, Flaunt It Friday, Creative Collection, Best of the Weekend, Fridays Unfolded, Family Fun Friday, Fabulous Friday, Frugal Friday, The Party Bunch, Plant Based Potluck, and Your Designs This Time.
The 2014 Oscars (also known as the Academy Awards) are this weekend, and I’m in countdown mode!
My husband works in the entertainment industry, so The Oscars are a big deal in our house. Every year, we try to catch as many of the nominated films and performances as possible. We’ve even gone to special all-day movie marathons to see as many as possible in one day. Let’s just say that it took a while for my butt to return to normal after that!
I love checking out all the dresses, and of course, it’s fun to make something delicious to eat while watching, too. My Bruschetta with Pan-Roasted Tomatoes and Ricotta is the perfect thing to serve at an Oscars viewing party (or any day, really). If you want to keep things a little more casual, serve tartines instead of bruschetta. Tartines are simply open-faced sandwiches, and they are delicious!
Whether you serve bruschetta or tartines, you’ll love this recipe!
- 1 baguette
- 1/4 cup parsley or basil leaves, chopped
- 1 15-oz. container ricotta cheese
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 16 oz. package cherry or grape tomatoes
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove ricotta from refrigerator and set aside.
Cut baguette into 1/4-inch thick slices and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until crisp but not overly browned, about 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Add olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes to a large skillet and place over high heat. When hot, carefully add tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes begin to char and split. Remove from heat.
To assemble bruschetta, top baguette slices with a spoonful of ricotta, followed by a spoonful of tomatoes. Sprinkle with parsley or basil.
For the tartines, you will need a rustic-style bread with a crusty exterior and firm interior instead of a baguette. I used Trader Joe’s Pain de Campagne, which was excellent, but feel free to use your favorite bread.
Cut the bread into 4 thick slices about 3/4 – 1 inch thick.
Heat a couple teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add bread slices (do this in two batches, if necessary) and cook on both sides until golden. Remove from pan.
Spread hot bread slices generously with ricotta and top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with parsley or basil and serve.
For more information about the Academy Awards, check out The Oscars website. There, you can learn who the nominees are and watch trailers of their performances, check out an interactive timeline of the Academy Awards through the years, take a Guess the Dress Quiz, and a lot more.
If you’re throwing a party, here are some great resources:
- Have a little fun and play Oscar Bingo! I Gotta Create has free printables.
- Check out 15 DIY ways to throw a glamorous Oscar party via Brit + Co.
- Make a simple DIY Oscar party banner with instructions from Play. Party. Pin.
- Serve a fun cocktail! Cook In/Dine Out created a cocktail for each Best Picture nominee.
Will you be tuning in to the Academy Awards?
I’m linking up with Much Ado About Monday, Give Me the Goods Monday, A Stroll Through Life’s Inspire Me Tuesday, Time to Sparkle, The Scoop, Cozy Little House’s Tweak It Tuesday, Tuesday’s Treasures, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Ginger Jamboree, VMG206’s Brag About It, The Inspiration Exchange, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Tasty Tuesdays, The Wednesday Roundup, Lovely Ladies Linky, Make Bake Create, Your Whims Wednesday, SNAP! Show + Tell Wednesday, Work It Wednesday, Embracing Change’s Creative Inspirations, Lamberts Lately’s Create It Thursday, Live Laugh Rowe’s Live Laugh Linky, Sweet Bella Roos’ Pin It Thursday, Link’n Blogs, Flaunt It Friday, Craft Frenzy Friday, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Cheerios & Lattes’ Saturday Show & Tell, Pieced Pastimes’ Saturday Sparks, Sewlicious Home Decor, Get Schooled Saturday, Saturday Night Fever, Showstopper Saturday, Flamingo Toes’ Think Pink Sunday, Sunday Best Showcase, Inspiration Monday, and Craft-O-Maniac Monday.