Looking for a delicious and healthy meal? These Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers in the crock pot are easy to make and full of tasty Mexican flavors!
Mexican food just might be my favorite. I get cravings on the regular for any kind of Mex, Tex Mex, or Southwestern food. It’s something that I could eat every day (and sometimes do).
Here in Texas, Tex Mex is huge. It’s definitely not the authentic stuff , but rather the cheesy, saucy kind of Mexican food … and what’s not to love about that?
These Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers in the crock pot are one of my all-time favorite meals! I love how easy this dish is to make. Plus, even though these peppers are filled with healthy ingredients, they still satisfy my Mexican food cravings 100%!
I usually haul out my slow cooker in the fall and winter, but summer is actually a wonderful time to try these vegetarian Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers. You’ll get to take advantage of fresh summer produce to make this recipe without heating up your kitchen.
These yummy peppers are filled with a delicious quinoa, black bean, and corn mixture that comes together quickly. After that’s ready, you’ll pop the peppers in your slow cooker and cook them until tender. A little cheese is the finishing touch.
So don’t delay … treat your family to these Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers in the crock pot tonight!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 package Morningstar Farms Grillers Burger Style Recipe Crumbles
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Combine quinoa with 1 1/2 cups broth (reserve the remaining cup) in a medium saucepan.
- Bring broth to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to oil and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the burger crumbles.
- Cook until heated through.
- Stir in the black beans and corn.
- Cook mixture until heated through.
- Add taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water to filling.
- Stir everything together and cook until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Stir cooked quinoa into filling and mix well. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the remaining cup of broth and the salsa in the bottom of your crock pot. Stir well.
- Cut the stems off the peppers, then remove the ribs and seeds.
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise.
- Stuff the peppers generously with the filling and place in the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on medium for about 4 hours or until the peppers are tender.
- Remove the crock pot lid and top each pepper with 1/8 cup cheese.
- Replace lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve peppers immediately. Enjoy!
If you have extra filling after stuffing the peppers, use it to make a delicious burrito, or reheat it and eat as-is.
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to dig into these Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers right now! Have fun making this recipe your own by using a different type of beans or cheese (Pepper Jack would be delish), adding black olives, or including your favorite veggies. However you make, it’s sure to be a hit!