Are you a cookie lover? I definitely am, and ginger cookies are a favorite. I just love the warm, spicy flavor.
These thick and chewy Ginger Spice Cookies are the thing my cookies dreams made of!
This post contains affiliate links.
I’m a huge fan of Ginger Spice Cookies, but I’ve never had a go to recipe. So I decided to create my own!
My recipe had to have lots of ginger flavor, crunchy sugar on the outside, and a thick, chewy texture. These delicious cookies meet all of my criteria.
These cookies are filled with two kinds of ginger, ground and crystallized. I absolutely love crystallized ginger … it’s so good! Crystallized ginger can be hard to find, but Whole Foods has it for a good price, you can get it on Amazon, or you could try making your own.
To get that sugary crunch I was craving, I rolled these thick and chewy Ginger Spice Cookies in turbinado sugar (also called raw sugar) before baking. The large crystals of the turbinado sugar are crunchy and delicious, plus it looks so pretty on the finished cookies.
I used a couple tricks to get the thick and chewy texture. First, you’ll melt the butter instead of softening it, as you would in most recipes. That helps create a chewier texture. Then, once all the ingredients are mixed together, the cookies are refrigerated. You’ll want to refrigerate the cookies for at least an hour, but overnight is even better. Refrigerating the cookies helps them stay nice and thick.
The result is a thick and chewy Ginger Spice Cookie that positively addictive!
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- Turbinado sugar
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Using a mixer, blend together melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth and glossy (a couple minutes).
- Add molasses, vanilla extract, salt, and egg to butter mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend until smooth.
- Mix in crystallized ginger until well incorporated.
- Divide dough into 16 equal-sized balls.
- Fill the bottom of a shallow bowl with turbinado sugar, then roll cookie balls in sugar.
- Place cookies on a greased baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Refrigerate cookies for at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove cookie sheets from refrigerator and transfer to preheated oven.
- Bake cookies for about 15 minutes or until bottoms are browned.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack, then serve immediately or store in an air tight container. Enjoy!
Don’t you just want to take a bite? I could eat these thick and chewy Ginger Spice Cookies all winter long!