Did you catch the post on my hall closet makeover yesterday? If not, be sure to check it out!
Organizing a tiny closet is a real challenge. There’s never enough room to fit everything, and if you don’t keep everything in its place, things get out of hand quickly. It can definitely be done though, and today I’m sharing my favorite tips for organizing a small closet!
- Get rid of anything you don’t use. Be honest with yourself and clean out your closet first. Don’t waste time, money, and space organizing things you don’t need and will never use.
- Group similar things together. If you store all of your paintbrushes and paint together, then when you are ready to start a project, you’ll know exactly where to find the tools you need. Plus, you’ll avoid buying duplicates.
- Contain your stuff. After you’ve grouped similar items, purchase containers to hold loose items like medicine or batteries. It’s much easier to maintain an organized closet when everything has a designated place.
- Utilize vertical space. This is a great way to maximize unused space in a small closet. Start by adding hooks to your walls and investing in over-the-door organizers.
- Keep it up! Always return things to the same place, continue monitoring what’s working and what isn’t, and before you before you buy something new, make sure you have somewhere to store it.
- This Acrylic Vanity Organizer is perfect for holding makeup or a first aid kit, which is what I use mine for. It’s sturdy and the see through design helps you to find what you need quickly.
- I bought one of these Room Essentials Over the Door Quad Hooks for my husband’s side of the closet. It keeps his ties organized and off the floor, holds his favorite hats, and is a handy place to hang umbrellas.
- Photo Boxes can be used for so much more than holding your favorite snapshots. Not only are they inexpensive, but the uniform size makes them perfect for stacking and there is a place to label every box.
- If you have even the slightest Type-A personality, then you need a label maker. I have this DYMO Qwerty Label Maker, and I recently got the DYMO LabelWriter 450, which I like even more. Both are easy to use, and I get so much satisfaction from seeing everything uniformly and neatly labeled.
- Look for storage with clear pockets, like this Over the Door Shoe Organizer. It’s the perfect thing to make use of dead space on the back of a door, and it can be used for so much more than shoes. Store everything from nail polish to tools its pockets.
- Huggable Hangers are the best. You will double or triple the space in your closet when you invest in these thin hangers. Purchase a big box.
- I use these Sterilite Deep Closet Drawers to store my craft supplies. They hold a lot, are stackable, and are very sturdy (I’ve had mine for years). Plus, there is no need to take the whole thing out of your closet; just open the drawer to find what you need.
- Obviously, these Clear Adjustable Bead Organizers are perfect for holding beads, but they are also great for holding any small item, like batteries. The best thing is that the interior sections are adjustable, making it easy for you to customize it to your needs.
I hope these tips for organizing a small closet were helpful!
Are there any areas of your home that need organizing?