Chase away the winter chill with a bowl of thick and hearty Vegetable Barley Soup!
My husband travels constantly for work, and I got to go on a quick trip to Oklahoma City with him last week. It was cold, but so fun!
I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after a couple days spent wandering around downtown OKC, I was impressed by how much there was to do and see (I’ll share more in a separate post soon). I can’t wait to go back sometime … although I’ll probably wait until the weather warms up!
Unfortunately, I seem to have brought a cold home with me. At first, I thought my sniffles were brought on by the freezing weather, but nope, it’s a full-blown cold. Ugh.
I don’t know about you, but there’s nothing I crave more when I’m ill than a bowl of hot, comforting soup. Whether you’re sick or not, this Vegetable Barley Soup will warm you up from the inside out. It’s thick, hearty, and perfect for combating cold winter weather.
You are going to love this easy to prepare recipe! It’s packed with tons of healthy veggies, and unlike many Vegetable Barley Soup recipes, it’s vegetarian (actually vegan).
Tomatoes, basil, and oregano give this thick Vegetable Barley Soup a yummy Italian flavor, and the combination of vegetables, chickpeas, and barley make it stick-to-your-ribs filling! One tip: be sure to use pearl barley (affiliate link), not quick-cooking barley, or the barley will be finished cooking before your veggies are.
Since it can be hard to find good quality vegetables at this time of year, I kept things simple and used a combination of fresh and frozen veggies. The frozen vegetables work perfectly and taste fresh, but if the produce at your grocery store looks good, feel free to use all fresh veggies instead.
This recipe is easy to prepare and most of the cooking time is hands off, making it just as good for busy weeknights as it is for relaxed weekends. It also serves a crowd, although any leftovers you have definitely won’t last long!
So chase away the winter chill (or a cold) with a big bowl of this Vegetable Barley Soup. It’s a recipe your whole family is sure to love!
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves, plus extra for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Saute veggies until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; then add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add broth through bay leaf; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook soup until barley is tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Mix in peas and cook until tender and hot, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot, sprinkled with additional parsley. Enjoy!
I’m linking up with Tatertots & Jello.