Sweet and savory, plus super refreshing, this Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad is the ultimate summer recipe!
This Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad was inspired by a wonderful meal I ate while on vacation one summer. My husband and I love taking road trips, and while we were still living in California, we spent a long weekend driving through the San Joaquin Valley.
Although arguably not the most exciting part of California, there was a lot to see, especially since we love good, old-fashioned Americana and delicious food! We drove to Sacramento the first day, and then traveled to Bakersfield the next day, before heading home the following day.
There was so much to see, probably too much for a quick road trip. Along the way, we hit lots of local museums and attractions and ate plenty of delicious food, too!
We arrived in Bakersfield late the second day. Starving, we pulled into the parking lot of Eureka restaurant, a somewhat random choice, and hoped for the best. We shouldn’t have worried, because the food was delicious.
I ordered the Watermelon Salad, and it was so good. Sweet and savory, it was the perfect thing after a long, hot day on the road (that and a glass of white wine). Everything else we ordered was great, too, but that salad was unforgettable.
As soon as I got home from our trip, I had to recreate it. This Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad is my version of that light, refreshing salad. It’s filled with amazing flavors that are perfect for a hot summer day!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 oz. feta, diced
- 1 (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 of a medium watermelon, diced
- 10 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Cook quinoa in broth according to package directions. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- After quinoa has cooled, transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, feta, garbanzo beans, watermelon, and basil to the quinoa.
- Toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour lemon vinaigrette over the quinoa mixture and toss to coat.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It’s perfect for summer potlucks and parties.
P.S. Check out my Road Trip Essentials!
I’m linking up with I Heart Naptime.