Roasted Red Pepper Sauce … an effortless recipe that tastes amazing and is ready fast! Serve it over pasta or polenta for a quick weeknight meal!
This post contains affiliate links.
As much as I love cooking, my kitchen is not cut out for complicated recipes. There is very little counter space, no room to store fancy equipment, and the apartment-size oven only has one small rack.
Not that I haven’t made complex dishes. It just gets a little crazy in there … picture pots and pans on every square inch of free space, and you get the idea!
So for the most part, I am all about quick and easy recipes. And I LOVE a simple recipe like this homemade Roasted Red Pepper Sauce!
This easy pepper sauce can be used a million ways, and you can even add cream. I like this simple roasted pepper sauce served over polenta, which is what I’ll show you how to do here, but it’s delicious over pasta, too.
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
This Roasted Red Pepper Sauce recipe is a little different that most. For one thing it has no cream … which means it’s vegan. And it’s also chunky, when most pepper sauce recipes are smooth.
You know what else is different? This Red Pepper Sauce is ready fast … like in 15 minutes!
To start, you saute a little garlic in olive oil. Then, you’ll add diced tomatoes and a jar of roasted red peppers.
This sauce only needs about 10 minutes to cook. Season it with basil, salt, and pepper, and it’s ready to eat.
I’m showing you how to serve this Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with polenta here, but it’s equally delicious with pasta. And make sure to read my recipe notes to learn how to make this roasted pepper sauce creamy.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Polenta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, chopped
- 5 large basil leaves, roughly chopped (plus more for serving)
- nonstick spray
- 1 (18-ounce) tube prepared polenta
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese (I like Trader Joe's Quattro Formaggio; use dairy-free cheese to keep this recipe vegan.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a generous pinch of salt to a large skillet. Turn burner on to medium heat and, when hot, saute 1 - 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and red peppers to pan; stir well and bring sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- Stir chopped basil into sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray. Slice polenta into 12 thin rounds and place in baking dish, overlapping to fit.
- Cover polenta with roasted red pepper sauce, then sprinkle with cheese. Bake polenta for 10 - 15 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve baked polenta sprinkled with basil. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy this Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Polenta?
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my Baked Polenta with Veggie Marinara, too!
What is your favorite quick and easy meal?