I used to be a morning person. I’d pop out of bed the minute my alarm went off.
Growing up, my sister was the exact opposite. Her alarm would go off at top volume, waking up everyone but her. Someone would inevitably go in her room and tell her to turn it off. She’d finally hit snooze, and then the same scene would repeat 10 minutes later!
Now I’m not quite that bad, but I can’t seem to resist hitting that snooze button a few times myself lately. But even though I like to sleep in, you won’t find me skipping breakfast.
Usually I keep breakfast simple. Some days I crave something more indulgent though, like this Berry Stuffed Baked French Toast!
This baked French toast is ideal for those mornings when you plan to hit snooze as many times as possible. Just get everything ready the night before and pop it in the oven when you get up. Easy peasy.
Better than easy, however, is decadent! This French toast is stuffed with a lightly sweetened berry cream cheese mixture, and baked until crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. Then, it’s topped with more fresh berries … mmm, so good!
Give this Berry Stuffed Baked French Toast a try the next time you plan to sleep in!
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Chop half of the strawberries. Reserve the remaining berries.
- Add half of the blueberries (reserve the rest) and all of the chopped strawberries to the cream cheese. Mix well.
- Take one slice of bread and cut it in half.
- Spread 1/8 of the cream cheese mixture over one bread half.
- Cover with the other half, making a "sandwich."
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray and place the "sandwich" in the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- Whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Carefully pour milk mixture over bread, covering as much of the bread as possible.
- Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cover from bread and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- While french toast is baking, hull and slice remaining strawberries.
- Add strawberries to a bowl, along with the remaining blueberries and 2 tsp. sugar.
- Stir until sugar coats berries. Set aside and stir occasionally, allowing sugar to dissolve.
- Serve French toast topped with berries and maple syrup, if desired.