Make this delicious Broccoli Mac and Cheese tonight ... it's a recipe that your whole family is guaranteed to love!
The official start of fall is just a few days away, and that means it time to dig into some comfort food!
Here in Texas, the weather does not feel like autumn quite yet ... it's supposed to be 99 degrees today (yuck).
I'm over it, but the A/C is cranking, so I'm pretending it feels like autumn! Which means it's time to cook some of my fall favorites, like this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese.
This easy, cheesy recipe is total comfort food, and it's so easy to make!
There's nothing better than a big bowl of pasta at this time of year, especially if it's covered in a decadent cheesy sauce like this amazing recipe is!
You are going to love this delicious Mac and Cheese with Broccoli.
It's rich, creamy, and full of flavor. And if you've never made your own macaroni and cheese before, I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is, too.
How to Make Broccoli Mac and Cheese
The star of this recipe is the simple, yet flavorful cheddar cheese sauce.
You'll start by making a basic white sauce, then stir in lots of delicious sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!
Make sure to use high quality cheese (both white and yellow cheddar work). It will make big difference in the taste of the finished dish.
Instead of traditional macaroni noodles, I used fusilli for this.
I also added broccoli, which adds fresh flavor to the dish and pairs perfectly with the cheddar cheese sauce. I love how the sauce gets caught in all the nooks and crannies of the pasta and broccoli ... delicious!
Before baking, you'll top this macaroni and cheese with seasoned panko breadcrumbs (a Japanese-style breadcrumb that's super crunchy). It's the perfect finishing touch.
Treat your family to this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese tonight!
If you loved this baked pasta as much as me, you'll want to try some of my other recipes, too! I've rounded up my favorite mac and cheese recipes, plus some more broccoli faves, for you to make next:
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Easy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Homemade Deep Dish Pizza with Broccoli, Spinach, and Feta
- Broccoli Calzones and Feta and Olives
- Green Pizza with Pesto, Feta, Artichokes, and Broccoli
- Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Broccoli
Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- nonstick spray
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- dash cayenne
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add fusilli.
- Cook pasta, stirring frequently. About a minute before it's done cooking, add the broccoli. When pasta is al dente, drain it and the broccoli in a colander.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a microwave (or small pot) until warm, about a minute or two. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour, paprika, and cayenne to the butter and cook, stirring constantly, for a couple minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Cook mixture until thickened (it should coat a spoon), then add the cheese and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir pasta and broccoli into cheese sauce. Transfer to baking dish.
- Combine panko, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake until hot and lightly browned on top, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
What is your favorite comfort food?