Treat yourself to this spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe tonight … it’s loaded with flavor and so easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m so excited to share this Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe with you! It’s one of my favorite recipes that I’ve created in a long time.
If you love hot food or buffalo sauce, this Spicy Macaroni and Cheese recipe is for you. It is so dang good, and just looking at these pics has me wondering when I’ll eat it next!
This recipe is loaded with delicious bites … chunks of roasted cauliflower coated in my fave homemade Buffalo Sauce, creamy, cheesy pasta, and bites of flavor-packed blue cheese. Yum!
Ready to dig in right now? Then, keep reading for all the mouthwatering details!
This recipe was inspired by my love for Buffalo Sauce! I wasn’t a wing-eater growing up, and now, I’m a vegetarian. So I was pretty late to the Buffalo game.
But last year, I made these Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, and those spicy veggie bites were sooo good that I couldn’t stop there! I loved them so much, that I created these Buffalo Tofu (addictive!) and Buffalo Tatchos (aka Tater Tot Nachos … OMG!) recipes, too. Let’s just say I can’t stop once I discover a good thing!
This yummy recipe was next on my list, and it may just be my fave. And if you’re a spicy food lover, too, I’m positive you’re going to love it just as much as me.
It gets better though! Because I’ve teamed up with my fave bloggers to bring you football-inspired recipes all season long. We shared our favorite tailgating (I shared my Bell Pepper Nachos) and team-themed (check out my Beer Cheese Soup … go Packers!) recipes earlier this season, and with football season drawing to a close, it’s time to for the Big Game! We’ve 60 got appetizers, entrees, desserts, and even drinks … so make sure to scroll to the very end for all the recipes!
How to Make Buffalo Mac and Cheese
This vegetarian Buffalo Mac and Cheese has two main components: the cauliflower and the pasta.
You’ll start by roasting the cauliflower, and while that cooks, you’ll make the homemade Buffalo Sauce. It’s finger-licking good and super simple to prepare with Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, a little butter and garlic, and a touch of sriracha for extra heat! When the cauliflower is almost done cooking, you’ll toss it with the sauce, then keep roasting for a few more minutes.
The Buffalo-coated cauliflower is so good that you may just want to stop there, but don’t, because it gets better!
While the veggies cook, you’ll make the creamy cheddar cheese sauce and cook the pasta. That way, both components of your dish will be ready to assemble at the same time.
Once you’ve prepared the individual components, you’ll layer the mac and cheese, buffalo cauliflower, and a sprinkling of blue cheese together.
After everything is baked until hot and bubbly, it’s time to eat … my fave part!
Each bite of this spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe is bursting with flavor! The creamy macaroni is the perfect counterpart to the spicy cauliflower, and the blue cheese adds a little flavor kick that I love.
Serve this bold dish for the big game or any time you’re craving something spicy!
Tip: If you’re not a blue cheese fan, feel free to leave it out, serve it on the side, or replace it with another cheese, like feta. You could also drizzle the finished dish with Ranch Dressing, if you’d prefer.
And if you’re looking for more big game recipes, I’ve rounded up 100 Vegetarian Game Day recipes here!
Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
For Mac and Cheese:
- nonstick spray
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- dash cayenne
- 8 ounces medium cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, plus extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss cauliflower with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spread cauliflower on a baking sheet in a single layer; roast for 10 minutes. Flip cauliflower and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until browned on bottom.
- While cauliflower is roasting, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic to butter and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds to 1 minute), then mix in hot sauce and sriracha. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Set aside.
- When cauliflower is finished roasting, place in a large bowl and toss with buffalo sauce.
- Return cauliflower to baking sheet, then roast for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until hot and browned. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 425 degrees.
Prepare Mac and Cheese:
- Coat a large baking dish (such as a 9 x 13-inch pan) with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook fusilli until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the milk (in a microwave or small pot) until warm. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour, paprika, and cayenne to the butter and cook, then cook (stirring constantly), for a couple minutes.
- Slowly add the warm milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Simmer mixture until thickened (it should coat a spoon), then whisk in cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Remove sauce from heat. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir pasta into cheese sauce.
- Transfer 1/2 the pasta to the baking dish; top with 1/2 the cauliflower, followed by 1/2 the blue cheese. Repeat layers one more time.
- Bake at 425 degrees until hot and lightly browned on top, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with additional blue cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
More Game Day Recipes
Okay, now that I’ve got you hungry with my Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese, check out those other recipes I mentioned from my food blogger friends!
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders by Dash of Herbs
- Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip by The Culinary Compass
- Chicks in a Blanket with Apricot Sauce by Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread by The Life Jolie
- Sausage Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Feast + West
- Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls by Family Food on the Table
- Mini Bacon Ranch Cheese Balls by Honey & Birch
- Hawaiian Pizza Jalapeno Poppers by Love & Flour
- Wonton Taco Cups by A Mind Full Mom
- Pancetta and Smoked Mozzarella Arancini by The Secret Ingredient Is
- Bean and Cheese Taco Bites by The BakerMama
- Puff Pastry Pizza Bites by The Mexitalian
- Roasted Jalapeno Poppers by Off the Eaten Path
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Wings by Around My Family Table
- Gluten Free Bread Sticks by What A Girl Eats
- Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs by The Crumby Cupcake
- Greek Meatballs by Two Places at Once
- Baked Taco Empanadas by Simplify, Live, Love
- Cheese Sticks by Coffee Love Travel
- Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatballs by West via Midwest
- Puff Pastry Bacon Pizza Twists by 2 Cookin Mamas
- Skillet Chicken Queso Dip by foodbyjonister
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by Peanut Blossom
- Chickpea Pepper Cheese Poppers by Bucket List Tummy
- Game Day Fried Deviled Eggs with Chow Chow Relish by For the Love of Food
- Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls by Simple and Savory
- Pastrami Nachos by A Little Gathering
- Shrimp Ceviche Dip by Glisten and Grace
- Pulled Pork Stuffed Corn Dogs by Nik Snacks
- Easy Pepperoni Rolls by Me and My Pink Mixer
- Real Boneless Chicken Wings by Macheesmo
- Califlower Tater Tots by Living Well Kitchen
- Crab Rangoon by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sweet n’ Spicy BBQ Popcorn by Life’s Ambrosia
- Buffalo Chicken Rolls by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
- Crowd Pleasing Steak Fajita Dip by Lizzy is Dizzy
- Simple Meatball Sub Sliders by Loaves & Dishes
- Maple-Mustard Bacon Chicken Bites by An Oregon Cottage
- Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauces by A Simpler Grace
- Ricotta Stuffed Sausage Meatballs by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Classic Potato Salad by Celebrating Family
- Chili Cheese Burritos by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Jalapeno Pale Ale Chili by Beer Girl Cooks
- Low Carb Stuffed Crust Pizza by Sustaining the Powers
- Fruit Spring Rolls with Key Lime Cheesecake Dip by Body Rebooted
- Cookie Dough Cheese Ball by Bread Booze Bacon
- No Churn Pistachio Baklava Ice Cream by Club Narwhal
- Protein Dark Chocolate Truffles by The Creative Bite
- Chile Beer Sangria by Cake ‘n Knife
- Maple Cranberry Apple Sangria by Order in the Kitchen
- Meyer Lemon Shandies by The Speckled Palate
- Football Bourbon Balls + Boozy Lemonade by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Apple Cider Mimosas With A Sparkly Sugar Rim by And She Cooks
What is your go to game day recipe?
This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed on our blogs are our own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations. We are just big fans, and we want to share our love for our teams, the game, and the food that brings us all together on game day.