Dig into this delicious Buffalo Tofu with Blue Cheese Dip ... it's the perfect treat for spicy food lovers!
This post contains affiliate links.
Are you a spicy food lover?
My personal preference is the hotter, the better, and I love buffalo sauce. But would you believe that I've never had a buffalo wing? I've been a vegetarian since college, and somehow, I went through my youth without ever trying one.
Since discovering my love of buffalo sauce (sans wings), I've applied it to all sorts of things. From Roasted Cauliflower to Mac and Cheese, and even Tater Tots, there are so many things this piquant sauce can be paired with.
This Buffalo Tofu with Blue Cheese Dip just might be my favorite though!
Buffalo Tofu with Blue Cheese Dip
If you love spicy food, these Buffalo Tofu Bites are for you!
Buffalo sauce is the perfect partner for tofu. This is not the bland, boring tofu you may have had in the past. It's bursting with bold, spicy flavors that's will have you licking your lips when the last bite is gone.
This recipe is perfect for parties and snacks, and it's guaranteed to please a crowd. Of course, if you're anything like my husband and me, you might just be able to polish off the whole recipe between the two of you!
I'm not vegan (this recipe contains dairy), but if you are, never fear! This recipe can easily be made vegan, and I'm share my easy tips before the recipe.
How to Make Tofu with Buffalo Sauce
These vegetarian Buffalo Bites are so simple to make. There are three components to this recipe (fried tofu, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese dip), and each one is easy and quick to prepare.
You'll start with the blue cheese dip, which is a combination of Greek yogurt, garlic, parsley, and blue cheese.
Simply mix the first three ingredients together until smooth. Then, add the blue cheese and season to taste with a little salt.
Once the dip is ready, set it aside. You'll get started on the tofu next.
A block of tofu (make sure to use extra firm) contains a lot of water, and the water needs to be removed before cooking the tofu. Many recipes will tell you to place the tofu between two plates, then place a weight on top. This method works, but it takes a while. And I am way too impatient for that!
My method for removing excess water from tofu is much faster. I cut the tofu into slices, then place the slices on a thick layer of paper towels (a clean dish towel works, too). Then, I cut it into smaller cubes (being careful not to slice into the paper towel).
Place another thick layer of paper towel over the tofu and press firmly. The paper towel will absorb the water quickly, and this process only takes a few minutes.
Next, you'll saute the tofu until golden. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes in a hot pan.
While the tofu is cooking, you'll make the buffalo sauce.
My buffalo sauce recipe is so fast and easy to make. And even better, you only need four ingredients!
Once the hot sauce is heated and all the ingredients are combined, it's done. The sauce should only take about 5 minutes.
When the tofu is golden, add the buffalo sauce. Stir the tofu just until it's coated in sauce, and then it's time to eat!
I like to serve this Buffalo Tofu on a large plate with the blue cheese dip on the side. Celery sticks are also a fun addition. They taste great with the dip and will help cool your palate a bit, too.
Add some fork and toothpicks, and you have a party!
Vegan Buffalo Wings
Want to make this Buffalo Tofu vegan? It's simple with a few easy substitutions.
Frank's hot sauce and sriracha are both vegan. So the only change needed for the buffalo sauce is to replace the butter with a dairy-free substitute, like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
For the dip, you could substitute a vegan ranch or blue cheese dressing. Daiya makes both. If you have a good recipe, you could make your own creamy dipping sauce, too.
Buffalo Tofu with Blue Cheese Dip
For Blue Cheese Dip:
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra firm tofu, cubed
For Buffalo Sauce:
- celery sticks, optional
Prepare Blue Cheese Dip:
- While tofu is cooking, stir together yogurt, garlic, and parsley until smooth.
- Mix in blue cheese, then season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add tofu and cook until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow pan to cool slightly. Add buffalo sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce coats the tofu.
Prepare Buffalo Sauce:
- While tofu is cooking, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Stir in hot sauce and sriracha. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Set aside until ready to use.
- Transfer tofu to a plate or bowl. Drizzle any sauce left in the pan over tofu.
- Serve tofu with blue cheese dip, celery sticks, and forks or toothpicks for eating. Enjoy!
Love these Buffalo Tofu Bites?
If you enjoyed this tofu with buffalo sauce, then you'll like these recipes, too!
- Buffalo Tatchos (Tater Tot Nachos)
- Mexican Baked Eggs
- Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites with Blue Cheese
- Vegetarian Bibimbap
- Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Tomato Basil Fried Rice
Looking for game day recipes? I've rounded up over 100 vegetarian game day recipes here!
What is your favorite spicy food?