Indulge in a bowl of delicious Creamy Potato Kale Soup!
This rich, flavorful soup recipe is loaded with fresh veggies, and so easy to make. It's perfect meal to warm you up on a cold fall or winter day!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love fall, and I love creating cozy recipes to enjoy in fall. This particular soup was definitely created with cool autumn weather in mind, and it was something of a happy accident.
As I started to cook, I was envisioning a creamy soup with equal proportions of kale, potatoes, and white beans. As I wrapped up the recipe though, I realized there were a LOT of potatoes ... oops.
Truthfully though, I wasn't upset at all, because I LOVE potatoes in any size, shape, or form. And really, is there anything more comforting on cold day than a steaming bowl of potato soup? I don't think so!
This Creamy Potato Kale Soup was the result, and I think you're going to enjoy this delicious, cozy recipe just as much as I do ... especially if you're also a potato fan!
This Kale and Potato Soup uses simple ingredients you'll find in any store. Here's what you'll need:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Onions, Carrots, and Celery
- Fresh Garlic
- Dried Thyme
- All-Purpose Flour
- Vegetable Broth - I like to make my own with vegetable bouillon, that way I always have some on hand.
- Red Potatoes
- Kale - Both lacinato / dinosaur or curly varieties work.
- White Beans
- Heavy Cream
There are plenty of veggies in this chunky Potato, Kale, and White Bean Soup to balance out the touch of cream you'll add at the end. And it's actually a fairly flexible recipe. So don't be afraid to substitute other types of potatoes (such as yukon gold), skip the beans, use different herbs (like rosemary), or add other veggies.
This recipe is naturally vegetarian. For a vegan option, just replace the heavy cream with a creamy, neutral-flavored, plant-based milk (like soy).
You'll Also Need
How to Make Potato Kale Soup
This recipe couldn't be easier to make. You'll begin by sauteing the onions, carrots, and celery in the olive oil. Once they're starting to brown, stir in the garlic and thyme.
Cook this mixture just until the garlic is fragrant ... it should only take about 30 seconds or so.
Next, you'll mix the flour into the veggies, stirring until they're evenly coated. The flour will help thicken the soup as it cooks, giving you that creamy texture you're going to love.
Then, you'll stir in the broth and potatoes and give everything a good stir. When the the potatoes are almost tender, add the kale and white beans.
Finish cooking this mixture until all the veggies are tender. Then, you'll add the heavy cream and season your soup to taste.
Then it's time for the best part ... time to dig in! Doesn't it look yummy?
This Creamy Potato and Kale Soup is rich and satisfying. You could definitely serve it on its own for a lighter dinner. However, for a well-rounded meal, it's also great paired with Garlic Bread or Beer Bread, Homemade Crackers, or an easy Salad.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator, and it will keep for three to four days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe ... potatoes don't hold up well in the freezer.
If you liked this creamy Kale Soup recipe, then you'll enjoy these soups, too:
- Vegetable Barley Soup ... my most popular soup recipe!
- 15 Bean Soup
- Creamy Rosemary Potato Soup
- Easy Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Hearty Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup
And if you're a soup fan like me, you'll also want to check out all of my vegetarian soup recipes!
Creamy Potato Kale Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large red potatoes, cut into ¾ to 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, carrots, and onions to pot, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and starting to brown (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and thyme, then cook just until fragrant (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and mix until evenly coated.
- Add broth and potatoes to pot. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are almost tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in kale and beans, then simmer until everything is tender (about 5 to 10 minutes more).
- Add heavy cream to soup and mix well. Remove soup from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
What is your favorite fall soup?