Creamy Kale and Potato Soup ... a rich, flavorful soup recipe that's loaded with fresh veggies. Perfect for cold weather!
The weather finally seems to be cooling down here in NYC. Nothing too crazy, but I'll take it!
There's nothing I love more on a cold day than a big pot of soup. So of course, that's what I had to make.
This Creamy Kale and Potato Soup is super delicious and total comfort, and I know you're going to love it just as much as I do!
Creamy Kale and Potato Soup
Do you ever make something, and it doesn't turn out quite how you imagined? This Creamy Kale and Potato soup was one of those recipes for me.
I had originally set out to make a creamy soup with equal proportions of kale, potatoes, and white beans. As I wrapped up the recipe though, I realized there were a LOT of potatoes ... oops!
Truthfully, I wasn't upset at all ... ha ha.
I LOVE potatoes in any size, shape, or form. And really, is there anything more comforting on cold day than a steaming bowl of potato soup? I don't think so!
My vegetable soup recipe turned into a potato soup recipe just like that, and I'm not complaining.
There's still has plenty of veggies in this potato, white bean, and kale soup though, which makes me feel better about the touch of cream I added at the end!
Want more recipes like this Potato Kale Soup?
If you enjoyed this Kale Soup recipe, then you'll love these soups, too:
- Vegetable Barley Soup (my most popular soup recipe!)
- 15 Bean Soup
- Creamy Rosemary Potato Soup
- Easy Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Hearty Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup
And if you're a soup lover like me, make sure to check out all of my soup recipes!
Creamy Kale and Potato Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large red potatoes, cut into ¾ to 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, carrots, and onions to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and starting to brown, about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, and thyme, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and mix until coated.
- Add broth and potatoes to pot; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale and beans, then simmer until everything is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Add heavy cream to soup and mix well. The, remove soup from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
What is your favorite fall soup?