You’re going to love this delicious and easy Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup recipe! This homemade tomato basil soup with cheese tortellini is total comfort food that’s ready fast and has very little clean up!
This post contains affiliate links.
It’s cold out there … even here in Dallas.
Which means that I’m staying inside, wearing my fave sweaters and cozy slippers, and making all my favorite comfort foods. Yum!
And what could be more comforting that a big bowl of tomato basil soup with cheese tortellini? Honestly, not much.
This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup has it all: a delicious tomato-basil base that’s souper simple (ha ha … sorry!) to make and carbs. Lots of satisfying, stick to your ribs carbs in the best possible form … cheesy-filled pasta. Mmm!
Tomato Tortellini Soup
I mean … don’t you just wish you could eat that picture?
There’s nothing better than a steaming bowl of soup on a cold, winter day, and this easy tomato tortellini soup recipe is my new fave. It’s so simple to make and there’s hardly any prep work needed.
Plus, with only one pot needed for this vegetarian tortellini soup recipe, clean up is a snap!
This homemade Tortellini Soup is perfect for busy nights at home (your whole family will love it), but it’s equally great for parties. Pair it with my fave garlic bread or a salad for a meal no one can resist.
So let’s talk about just how simple this tomato basil tortellini soup is to make. Grab a large dutch oven or soup pot (I love my Calphalon Dutch Oven), and let’s get started!
If you’ve never made tortellini tomato soup before, you may be surprised to learn how easy it is. You’ll start by sauteing garlic with salt and crushed red pepper flakes, just until fragrant.
Next, you’ll add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and a little dried basil. Simmer the soup for about five minutes to start to develop all those delish flavors.
Then, it’s time for the tortellini. Once you add the pasta, stir your tortellini soup frequently. That will help the tortellini cook evenly.
I used Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini. Feel free to use any kind of tortellini you want though, just make sure to use the refrigerated kind (not dried). And keep in mind that different brands may take more or less time to cook.
A little heavy cream and fresh basil are the finishing touches.
Serve this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup topped with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan and fresh basil, then dig in!
I hope you enjoy this creamy tomato soup recipe. Just try to resist a big bowl on a cold night!
If you’re looking for other easy soup recipes, make sure to try these next:
- Vegetable Barley Soup … my most popular soup recipe!
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup (another tortellini soup recipe)
- Easy Beer Cheese Soup
- Vegetable Stew with Dumplings
- Easy Vegetable Soup
And make sure to check my roundup of 40 Hearty Vegetarian Soup Recipes … they’ll keep you warm this winter!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated tortellini (I used cheese, but any flavor works)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup lightly packed basil leaves, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes to oil and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and basil. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini to soup and cook, stirring frequently, until tender (about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in heavy cream and basil (reserve a little for serving), then season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot, sprinkled with parmesan cheese and reserved basil. Enjoy!
What is your favorite kind of soup?
P.S. Looking for more cold weather meal ideas? Here are 100 Vegetarian Comfort Food Recipes to warm you up as the temps dip!