These easy Black Bean Tacos with Fresh Salsa are crispy, delicious, and take minutes to make!
I love Mexican food, especially a good taco. They're simple to make, plus messy and fun to eat!
Most of the tacos I eat these days come in soft corn tortillas, but I grew up eating the hard shell kind. So when I got a craving for those crispy tacos recently, I had to have some.
These Crunchy Black Bean Tacos with Fresh Salsa were the result. They're so crisp and delicious, plus they take minutes to make ... you just have to try them!
Black Bean Tacos with Fresh Salsa
These easy Black Bean Tacos are inspired by the ones I ate as a kid.
Tacos were always a favorite in my home. My mom seasoned the filling (always meat) with a taco seasoning packet, and the tacos were always served in hard shells. They were not very authentic, but they sure were delicious!
I don't eat meat these days, so I made a smokey bean filling for my crispy black bean tacos instead. The beans take minutes to make and are so good.
How to Make Black Bean Tacos
You going to love how simple these bean tacos are to make! Plus, they're great for all sorts of diets, since they're vegetarian, gluten-free, and vegan friendly (if you use dairy free toppings) ... sounds like a crowd pleaser to me!
The vegan black beans are so quick to make. You'll start by sauteing spices and garlic until fragrant.
Next come the canned beans. Unlike many bean recipes, you don't want to drain and rinse the beans. Just drain off a little liquid from the top of the can before adding the beans to the pan.
Cook the beans just until they're thickened. It only takes about five minutes ... told you these crispy bean tacos were fast!
For toppings, I stuck to the classics: Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce (cabbage also would be delish), and homemade fresh salsa. Feel free to add your favorite toppings, too.
The salsa comes together super quickly in a food processor, making this the perfect weeknight meal. A blender would work, too (just mince the garlic and jalapeno by hand, then add them with the tomato).
A note about the jalapeno: I used a whole jalapeno, since I like things spicy. You can use less though if you can't take the heat.
These Crunchy Black Bean Tacos with Fresh Salsa are perfect for busy weekenights, like Taco Tuesday or Meatless Monday, but they make great party food, too.
Just double or triple the recipe, depending on the number of guests. Then, set out the toppings so everyone can assemble their own tacos. Add some easy sides, like Mexican rice and or Mexican Grilled Corn, to your table, too. Then throw some beers and Jaritos in an ice-filled tub.
Taco bar for the win!
However you serve them, add this Crispy Black Bean Taco recipe to your rotation ... it's sure to become a family favorite.
Crunchy Black Bean Tacos with Fresh Salsa
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans
- 12 hard taco shells
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 cups)*
- 1 cup sour cream*
- ½ small head iceberg lettuce (or cabbage), shredded
- Pulse garlic clove in a food processor until minced.
- Add jalapeno; process until chopped.
- Add tomatoes, lime juice, and salt to jalapenos. Pulse until tomatoes are finely chopped.
- Transfer salsa to a small bowl and stir in cilantro. Set aside.
Prepare Black Beans:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and spices to oil. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Drain a little of the liquid from the beans, then add beans to garlic mixture.
- Cook beans until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Fill taco shells with black beans. Top beans with cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and reserved salsa.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Loved these Crispy Black Bean Tacos?
If you enjoyed this easy bean taco recipe, here are some others tacos you'll like, too:
- Black Bean Taquitos with Avocado Cream
- Korean BBQ Tofu Tacos
- Grilled Portabella Poblano Tacos
- Quick Tofu Tacos with Crunchy Veggie Slaw
- Easy Egg and Black Bean Tacos
Still need more taco ideas for your next Taco Tuesday? I've rounded up 25 of the Best Vegetarian Tacos just for you!
What were your favorite foods when you were a kid?