My husband and I enjoy exploring new neighborhoods on the weekends, and by explore, I mean walk around and eat a lot of food.
A few weeks ago, we spent an afternoon walking around Bay Ridge. It’s a somewhat remote neighborhood in Brooklyn that’s only served by one subway line. We weren’t sure what to expect, but we really loved it.
There were so many delicious looking restaurants – everything from Middle Eastern to Greek to Italian – that I’m already plotting my return. Of course, we had to check out a couple places. One of our stops was Paneantico Bakery, where the displays cases were filled with beautiful pastries. I had an amazing berry cream tart that I couldn’t wait to recreate once I got home.
You are going to love these Berry Cream Tarts! I started by baking almond-scented shortbread cookies with a cute scalloped edge. The cookies are topped with a generous dollop of rich cream filling that tastes just like cheesecake! I finished the tarts by piling on the sweet berries.
These tarts would be perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch or anytime you feel like a sweet treat!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 12 oz. blackberries
- 12 oz. raspberries
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place butter, granulated sugar, and almond extract in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until butter is light and creamy.
- Add flour to butter mixture. Mix just until dough comes together.
- Lightly flour a large cutting board. Place dough on board.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out dough until it's about 1/4-inch thick.
- With a 3-inch fluted cookie cutter, cut out 10 cookies.
- Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and, prick each cookie a few times with a fork.
- Bake cookies just until the edges start to turn golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Remove cookies from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Pour heavy cream into the bowl of a stand mixer and, with the whisk attachment, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Remove cream from bowl and set aside.
- Add cream cheese and powdered sugar to mixing bowl, and with the paddle attachment, mix until completely smooth.
- Using a spatula, gently fold 1/3 of heavy cream into cream cheese until well combined. Repeat 2 more times with remaining heavy cream. Set mixture aside.
- Hull strawberries and cut into thirds vertically.
- Slice blackberries in half vertically, if very large.
- Top each cookie with 3 - 4 strawberry slices, placing them around the edges.
- Cover strawberries with a 1/10th of the cream mixture, and then press additional strawberries into cream (in between the other berries).
- Top each tart with a blackberry or raspberry, and then fill in the sides with additional blackberries and raspberries.
Have you ever tried something so delicious that you couldn’t wait to recreate it at home?