Warm up with a bowl of my Easy Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk … it’s fast to make and full of flavor!
This post contains affiliate links.
I start to get excited for fall and winter cooking around this time of year … it never fails.
Nothing sounds better to me right now than warming casseroles, rich pastas, and steaming bowls of soup. It’s all about that comfort food!
In reality, it’s still pretty darn hot here in Texas. That won’t stop me from enjoying my autumn favorites though.
This easy Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk is the perfect fall recipe! It’s warm and comforting, yet it’s packed with end of summer veggies.
Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk
You’d never guess it from the taste or pics, but this is a vegan corn chowder recipe. You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy it though, as my meat-eating husband can attest!
This veggie chowder gets its creaminess from coconut milk, not cream. You’ll never miss the milk, because this Curried Corn Chowder is so rich, satisfying, and packed with flavor.
Like most of my fave soups, this corn chowder soup is packed with veggies. So it’s hearty and filling, but still pretty healthy for you, too. And that’s the best combination, right?
How to Make Curry Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk
You are going to love this vegan corn chowder recipe just as much as I do. It’s packed with flavor, yet super simple to make … perfect for busy weeknights!
The first step is sauteing a mix of veggies: onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Not only do the vegetables provide lots of nutrition, they also add a wonderful base of flavor to your soup.
You’ll cook the veggies until they start to soften, then season them with garlic and curry powder. I used traditional curry powder, but feel free to substitute garam masala or even a red or green curry paste. It’s up to you!
Not a fan of curry or just want to switch things up? See my suggestions after the recipe for more seasoning ideas.
Next, you’ll add a little flour (this help thicken the corn chowder soup), then add the corn and broth. You can use fresh or frozen corn, so feel free to make this recipe year round. It’s perfect for winter days when you want something comforting, yet veggie packed!
Once your veggies are tender, you’ll add the coconut milk and heat through.
Are you familiar with coconut milk? It has a mild flavor, so it won’t make your finished soup taste like coconut … just creamy! Make sure to use use coconut milk, not coconut cream (which is sweetened) or coconut water (which is watery, not creamy).
And that is it, your delicious, creamy Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk is ready to eat. This is a recipe your whole family is sure to love, so make it tonight!
Easy Curried Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium red potatoes, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, then cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften (about 10 minutes).
- Stir garlic and curry powder into veggies and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly (about 30 seconds).
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for two minutes.
- Mix in broth and corn, then cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Once soup boils, remove lid, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and heat through, then remove from heat and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup sprinkled with cilantro. Enjoy!
Other Seasoning Ideas for this Corn Chowder with Coconut Milk
One thing I love about this vegetarian corn chowder is that you can easily change up the flavors. Here are a few ideas:
- Skip the curry powder and cilantro, and experiment with other herbs and spices. Thyme would be delicious, or you could go a southwestern route with cumin, chili powder, and/or chipotle peppers.
- Add your favorite veggies, like zucchini or even squash. Just remember to add quick cooking veggies with the corn.
- Make soup extra creamy by blending it partially or totally with an immersion blender.
- Turn this into more of a vegetable soup by skipping the flour and coconut milk.
Love this Curried Corn Chowder and want more?
If you liked this vegetable corn chowder recipe, you are in luck! I have lots of other soup recipes for you to try.
What is your favorite fall comfort food?