I have a really fun DIY project for you today – a DIY chalkboard. Perfect for keeping lists, posting a dinner menu, or even displaying a fun message, a chalkboard is a quick and easy way to get crafty.
This chalkboard project is a great way to repurpose an outdated frame from the thrift store or to reuse one that’s been collecting dust in a closet.
- a frame – I spray painted mine white before starting
- a piece of cardboard or heavy card stock, cut to fit in the frame opening
- chalkboard paint
- a foam paint brush
This project is so easy that it hardly need directions.
- Gather your supplies and pour the chalkboard paint into a small container. I used a plastic cup.
- Using your brush, cover the cardboard or card stock with a thin layer of paint.
- Let the paint dry, and then add another coat of paint. Make sure to rinse out your brush in between coats, otherwise it will get stiff.
- Add additional coats of paint until the cardboard is completely and evenly covered. I ended up applying 4 coats of paint, which sounds like a lot, but the paint dries quickly.
- After all coats of the chalkboard paint have been applied and have dried, attach the cardboard/card stock to the frame. You can either use the existing hardware or staple it in place with a staple gun (that’s what I did).
Now comes the fun part: decorating your chalkboard!
The first thing I recommend is going over the chalkboard with the side of a piece of chalk. Completely cover the board and then wipe it off with a piece of paper towel. This will add a little dimension and character to your board.
Then decorate to your hearts content. You can either use regular chalk or specially made chalkboard markers.
Holla! I couldn’t resist going with a tongue-in-cheek message.
I hope you try this fun project!