It doesn’t get much simpler than this Easy Peas and Rice Soup … make a batch tonight!
I’ve been a little under the weather lately. Nothing terrible, just a cold that doesn’t want to go away.
Have you ever taken a sick day only to discover that your cupboards are bare, and there’s nothing to eat? It’s happened to me more than once, and there really is nothing worse.
This easy Peas and Rice Soup was invented on just such an occasion! It’s so simple to make, and it couldn’t be more soothing.
Peas and Rice Soup
The best thing about this Peas and Rice Soup—apart from its delicious taste—is that it can be made from the odds and ends filling your pantry. I don’t know about you, but I almost always have some rice and frozen peas on hand, and that’s pretty much all you need for this soup.
There is nothing quite like a bowl of hot soup when you’re sick, and this easy Peas and Rice Soup is warming and nourishing. It’s filled with healthy ingredients that will make you feel a little better, and the heat from the crushed red pepper flakes help relieve congestion.
This soup is super easy to make, and once the onions are sauteed (5 minutes max), you can get back to your cozy couch and Netflix marathons. This past week, I watched more episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer than I can count. I feel like I’m reliving the 1990s!
Out of peas and brown rice? Don’t worry, this recipe is quite versatile.
- Replace the peas with another vegetable. I especially like broccoli, but any leftover or frozen veggie should work.
- Sub the brown rice with white rice, pasta, quinoa, or couscous. Make sure to adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Not up to standing over a pot to saute onions? Skip straight to the garlic.
My husband and I both love this Peas and Rice Soup. So I make it frequently, whether one of us is sick or not. I think you’ll like it, too!
Peas and Rice Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large soup pot.
- Add onion, salt, and red pepper flakes to oil.
- Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Mix in garlic and cook for a few seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broth and rice to pot, then cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot partially with lid, and cook until rice is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in peas and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and serve hot. Enjoy!
What is your go to sick day meal?
P.S. Want to surprise your favorite sickie? Tuck a container of this soup into a Cough, Cold, and Flu Care Package!