I am counting down the minutes until Thanksgiving and looking forward to - hands down - one of the best meals of the year!
Between reading other blogs and perusing Pinterest, I've found so much inspiration for the big meal. So instead of my usual Friday link roundup, I thought that I'd share some of the Thanksgiving recipes that have caught my eye lately.
Row 1: Cranberry Gimlet, Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread, Vegetable Pot Pie, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples; Row 2: Creamy Ricotta-Blue Cheese Spread, Layered Pumpkin Mousse, Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Gruyere Tartlets, Cranberry Crostini (photo courtesy Cookie + Kate); Row 3: Shitake Mushroom Stuffing, Raspberry Cranberry Sauce, Roasted Garlic Chipotle Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry-Sage Stuffed Acorn Squash.
I hope this inspires you to try something new this year. I know I will be!
Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, Gruyere Tartlets (photo courtesy Brown Eyed Baker)
Whet your guests' appetites with a pre-dinner snack.
- My yummy Blue Cheese Stuffed Dates couldn't be easier to make, and they're so delicious!
- Serve Cranberry Crostini from Cookie + Kate for a fun twist on traditional cranberry sauce.
- My Creamy Ricotta-Blue Cheese Spread is delicious served with fresh vegetables and crackers.
- Make your food do double-duty! These Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Gruyere Tartlets from Brown Eyed Baker could be served as an appetizer or vegetarian main course.
Cranberry Gimlet (photo courtesy Saveur)
Keep everyone happy and serve a pre-dinner drink (or two).
- Set a festive tone right away and greet your guests with a Pomegranate-Cranberry Sparkler from Freutcake.
- Saveur's recipe for a Cranberry Gimlet that's the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
- I love this twist on a classic cocktail: Spiced Persimmon-Maple Old Fashioneds from Aida Mollenkamp.
- Don't forget the teetotalers and kids, who will appreciate a special drink, too. Nutella Hot Chocolate from Nalle's House fits the bill.
Roasted Garlic Chipotle Sweet Potatoes (photo courtesy Our Best Bites)
Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without potatoes. Do you do white, sweet, or both?
- Kick the decadence up a few notches! These Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes from Just Us Four are extra-creamy and rich.
- Save the gravy for the turkey. These flavorful Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish and Romano from Chin Deep are perfect on their own.
- Sweet potatoes without the marshmallows? You won't miss them - I promise - in this Spiced Sweet Potato Gratin from PBS Parents.
- If you prefer your sweet potatoes savory, then you are sure to love these Roasted Garlic Chipotle Sweet Potatoes from Our Best Bites.
Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread (photo courtesy Five Heart Home)
Every table needs some bread and butter!
- Impress everyone and make your own Garlic and Herb Dinner Rolls from Baked by Rachel!
- This Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread from Five Heart Home looks difficult but comes together quickly thanks to a ready-made ingredient.
- Honor the spirit of the holiday and bake a batch of Thankful Rolls from The Idea Room. Your guest will love the surprise in the middle.
- Add a fun element to your table with these clevery-shaped Pumpkin Dinner Rolls from Beyond Kimchee.
Shitake Mushroom Stuffing (photo courtesy Recipe Girl)
I'm a carb-lover, so stuffing may just be my favorite part of the feast!
- These Stuffin' Muffins from Brit + Co. are chock full of herbs and other delicious ingredients, plus they are served up in a cute grab-and-go manner (perfect for a buffet).
- I love stuffing with mushrooms, so this Shitake Mushroom Stuffing from Recipe Girl sounds right up my alley.
- My Dad's Classic Bread Stuffing is my absolute favorite ... it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this stuffing on the table!
- I'm curious to try this Roasted Fennel and Lemon Stuffing. It sounds light and fresh.
- If you want to get creative, check out Fine Cooking's interactive Create Your Own Stuffing tool. Just drag the ingredients you want to use into the bowl, and they give you a step-by-step recipe.
My favorite Dijon Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots.
Thanksgiving is all about the sides!
- Balance out heavier dishes with something light and fresh: Pomelo Green Beans from 101 Cookbooks.
- Here's a recipe that's oh-so-good, but ready in minutes: my Dijon-Brown Sugar Carrots. It's one of my favorites!
- Enjoy a creamy, cheesy, and healthy Butternut Squash and Cranberry Gratin from Running to the Kitchen.
- Make something seasonal, like this Grape and Avocado Salad from The Picky Eater.
- This recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples from Oh My Veggies will banish any bad childhood memories of mushy sprouts!
Raspberry Cranberry Sauce (photo courtesy Favorite Family Recipes)
Homemade cranberry sauce is dead-simple to make. Don't settle for something from a can!
- I love this Cranberry-Pomegranate Relish from Martha Stewart. The shallots add a savory element.
- If you like raspberries as much as I do, make this unique Raspberry Cranberry Sauce from Favorite Family Recipes.
- Oh My Veggies adds ginger beer to her sauce. The result is a delicious sounding Ginger Orange Cranberry Sauce.
Vegetarian Main Dish
Vegetable Pot Pie (photo courtesy A Beautiful Mess)
Any one of these dishes would make a vegetarian feel welcome at your table.
- For a recipe has fall harvest written all over it, look no further than Wild Rice Pilaf with Squash, Cranberries, and Pecans from Good Dinner Mom!
- I'm a huge fan of pot pie. This delicious-looking Vegetable Pot Pie from A Beautiful Mess is easy to make thanks to a puff pastry crust.
- This Roasted Sweet Potato, Carmelized Onion, and Gorgonzola Quiche from Naturally Ella is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
- My recipe for Cranberry-Sage Stuffed Acorn Squash would make any vegetarian or vegan happy!
My Layered Pumpkin Mousse
When it comes to dessert, why make just one?
- For a light dessert with a spicy kick, try making my Layered Pumpkin Mousse.
- What is Thanksgiving without pie? 52 Mantels' Nutella Candy Bar Pie had me at Nutella!
- Of course, pumpkin pie must be served! Personally, I'd like a slice or two of Stephmodo's Spiced Pumpkin Pie with Candied Hazelnuts and Eggnog Whipped Cream (say that three times fast).
- This Caramel Spiked Pumpkin Pie from Annie's Eats also sounds pretty amazing. She's tried a ton of recipes, and it's her favorite!
A little bit of everything else:
- Not sure how much to cook? Spark People has a handy guide to help you make the perfect amount of food this Thanksgiving.
- Decorate your home the easy way! I Heart Naptime has rounded up the 50 Best Thanksgiving Printables.
- The Style Dossier shows you how to make your home smell like the holidays.
- Earlier this week, I shared some ideas for setting a casual, collected Thanksgiving table.
- Is your Uncle Larry working your last nerve? Design Sponge has some timely tips for a drama-free Thanksgiving.
- Bon Appetit's 10 essential Thanksgiving techniques is worth a read.
- Are a you a Thanksgiving Novice? You'll want to read Style Me Pretty's Thanksgiving Guide.
What are your Thanksgiving plans? Are you cooking a big meal?