This is a sponsored post. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
This Plum and Gouda Pizza is the perfect recipe for summer entertaining, especially when paired with your favorite wine!
My husband and I lived in San Francisco years ago, and one of our favorite weekend getaways was leaving the city to drive along the coast, up to Sonoma, or into the Sierras.
Whichever direction we headed, you could bet that we were going to stop at one (or more!) of our favorite wineries for a tasting along the way.
Living in California definitely turned me into a wine lover, and even though I’m in Texas now, it’s still my drink of choice.
Wine is my go to for entertaining, and I love coming up with unique recipes to pair it with, like this Fresh Plum and Gouda Pizza!
Plum and Gouda Pizza
This creative pizza recipe is positively bursting with fresh summer flavors, and it’s so simple to make! I love the combination of juicy plums, crunchy walnuts, and flavorful gouda cheese (yum!), and I know you will, too.
Of course, this Fresh Plum, Walnut, and Gouda Pizza is even better paired with a great wine, like Estancia Cabernet Sauvignon. Estancia’s mantra is handcrafted with great purpose, and you can tell it in the quality of their wines.
If you’ve ever done any wine tasting, you’ve probably heard of terroir. Basically, terrior is a fancy way of describing the environment conditions, especially soil and climate, that grapes are grown in. A region’s terroir gives wine its unique flavor and aroma. The concept of terroir helps to explain why certain areas of the world are known for certain wines.
Estancia’s name, which means estate in Spanish, emphasizes their conviction that the world’s best wines capture the essence of their place of origin … love that!
I enjoy both reds and whites, but I know some people prefer one over the other, so I like to include both options when entertaining.
For white wine drinkers, I also paired my Plum Pizza with Estancia Chardonnay. Of course, I had to sample both wines!
Estancia makes it easy to find affordable wines that taste great. Their brand was built by over delivering on quality for the price, and you can tell!
Let’s get back to that pizza.
Since I was serving this Fresh Plum, Walnut, and Gouda Pizza to guests, I thought it would be fun to create individual pizzas.
There’s nothing worse than eyeing the last slice of pizza and having someone snatch it away before your eyes, am I right? Ha!
Thankfully, that’s not a problem here. Each of these mini pizzas feeds one person. But if you’re better at sharing pizza than I am, feel free to make one big pizza instead.
How to Make Plum and Gouda Pizza
This unique plum pizza recipe is so quick to make.
I used ready made pizza dough, which is my trick for making homemade pizza fast. That I can focus on the toppings.
You’ll divide the dough into four individual pizzas, then top each with a generous helping of gouda cheese, fresh plums, and a sprinkling of toasted walnuts.
All of these ingredients are amazing on their own, but they’re even better together on these mini pizzas!
After baking the pizzas to perfection, a quick salad dressed with balsamic vinaigrette is the finishing touch.
Have you ever had pizza topped with salad before? It’s so yummy, fresh, and of course, perfect for summer.
Paired with your favorite Estancia wine, this Fresh Plum Pizza is perfect for entertaining! Make sure to keep reading after the recipe for a unique dessert idea.
Fresh Plum and Gouda Pizza
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound gouda, shredded
- 1/4 pound mozzarella, shredded
- 2 plums, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups lightly packed arugula
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Place walnuts in a medium pan over medium heat and cook until lightly toasted, watching closely and stirring frequently.
- Remove walnuts from pan and chop roughly. Set aside.
- Divide pizza dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Place dough on baking sheet and press each piece into a circle about 7-inches in diameter. (Tip: if the dough doesn't want to stretch, let it rest for a few minutes while working on the other ingredients.)
- Brush the dough with olive oil, then sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Mix together gouda and mozzarella, then top dough with cheese.
- Top cheese with sliced plums and chopped walnuts.
- Bake pizzas for about 15 to 20 minutes or until bottom and edges are browned.
- Remove pizzas from oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes before topping with salad.
- While pizza is cooking, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Right before serving, toss arugula with dressing.
- Serve pizzas topped with salad. Enjoy!
Love this unique pizza recipe?
If you like this Fresh Plum, Walnut, and Gouda Pizza and are looking for other creative pizza recipes, you can find all of my pizza recipes here.
What is your favorite wine and food pairing?