Learn how to make the BEST Garlic Bread from scratch with this easy recipe … you’ll never buy store bought again!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Where are my garlic lovers? This bread is for you!
I will put garlic in pretty much anything, but sometimes the best way to enjoy it is in a simple, classic recipe … like this amazing homemade Garlic Bread.
This is not your boring, store bought bread. It’s packed with fresh, bold garlic flavor, and there’s a secret ingredient that puts this easy recipe over the top.
Best of all though, this yummy recipe is so simple to make.
Garlic Bread Recipe
I’ve been making this delicious recipe for years, and I’m just going to say it … this is the BEST Garlic Bread!
If you love garlic as much as I do, then I know you’re going to love this recipe. The ingredients are simple, and the fresh garlic flavor really shines through.
You will have garlic breath, but you won’t care. And once you learn how to make this easy Garlic Bread at home, you’ll never buy a frozen loaf again!
Garlic Bread Ingredients
Before you start cooking, let’s chat about what you’ll need for a minute. This recipe is really simple, so choose for the freshest, most high quality ingredients you can find.
You probably already have almost everything in your pantry:
- Unsalted Butter – This recipe is designed to use unsalted butter, which I prefer. If you use salted butter, you will need to watch the salt.
- Fresh Garlic – For this recipe, you want to start with fresh garlic which has the most flavor. Avoid pre-chopped / jarred / powdered garlic at all costs.
- Parmesan Cheese – My secret ingredient. The Parmesan adds another layer of flavor that is sooo delicious! Avoid the canned and pre-grated stuff. Use real Parmesan cheese and grate your own.
- Salt – I always use kosher salt in my cooking. The flavor is so much better than regular table salt.
- Pepper – Make sure to use fresh cracked pepper.
- French or Italian Bread – Look for something with a good texture. Nothing super crusty though, or it will be too hard to eat once baked.
Love cheese? Then, head straight over to my Cheesy Garlic Bread recipe!
How to Make Garlic Bread at Home
Now that you have your ingredients, let’s talk about how to make homemade Garlic Bread. You’re going to begin with the garlic butter.
Garlic Bread Spread
This garlic butter spread is a simple mixture of butter, fresh minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
It’s really simple to make (mix everything in a bowl), just make sure to use room temperature butter. If you start with cold butter, it will be impossible to mix everything together.
Once everything is blended, taste it and add more salt to taste, if desired. It should taste a little on the salty side, but nothing too crazy.
Tip: would you prefer a milder garlic flavor? Then, replace the raw garlic with a head of roasted garlic. Yum!
Next, split your loaf of bread in half using a serrated knife.
Then, spread the garlic butter evenly over both halves.
Bake until the butter is melted, and the bread is toasted and golden.
Avoid over-baking the bread. You want the outside to be crunchy, but the inside to be soft … the perfect contrast of textures!
Let the bread cool slightly then cut it into slices and eat it while it’s hot. Yum!
Can Garlic Bread be reheated?
If you have leftover Garlic Bread, store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator (it will last about three days). When you’re ready to eat it, wrap the bread in paper towels. Then microwave the bread for about 15 seconds. Continue heating, at five second intervals, until it’s warm.
Don’t have a microwave? Wrap the bread in foil, then heat in your oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
What do you eat Garlic Bread with?
The best thing about Garlic Bread is that it goes with pretty much everything!
Here are my favorite pairing ideas:
- Pasta – Carb lovers will want to serve this garlicky bread with pasta, of course. Try it with my Marinara Pasta, Zucchini Spaghetti, Pesto Pasta, Lemon Ricotta Pasta, Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Shells, Pasta Primavera, or Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese.
- Entrees – This bread goes with lots of other main dishes, too. Serve it alongside Baked Polenta, any kind of Pizza, Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers, Cabbage Rolls, or Pumpkin Risotto for an unforgettable meal.
- Soup – Add some substance to a soup meal! This chewy bread goes with almost any soup, but I especially like it dunked in Creamy Kale and Potato Soup, Tomato Soup (skip the croutons), Easy Vegetable Soup, Minestrone, or Kitchen Sink Veggie Soup.
- Salad – Make a salad into a meal by pairing it with indulgent Garlic Bread. Try it with my Massaged Kale Salad, Greek Quinoa Salad, Halloumi Salad, Kale Caesar Salad, Lemony Chickpea Salad, or my Ultimate Chopped Salad.
- Snack – If you’re craving a delicious, crowd-pleasing snack, why not serve this yummy bread on it’s own? Or even better, dip it in Marinara Sauce, Romesco, or Pesto.
However you eat it, there’s one thing I know … you’re going to love it!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf Italian or French bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix butter, Parmesan, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice bread in half length-wise, then spread with butter mixture.
- Place bread halves on a baking sheet. Bake until butter is melted and bread is crispy on edges, about 10 minutes.
- Cut each bread half into 6 to 8 slices.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
What is your favorite thing to eat with Garlic Toast?