Treat yourself to the BEST Halloumi Sandwich for your next lunch or dinner!
This warm sandwich is loaded with flavorful ingredients, including creamy pesto mayo and juicy tomatoes. It's delicious, simple to prepare, and ready in minutes.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you fallen in love with halloumi? This unique cheese from the Mediterranean is one of my faves, and I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy it.
This Halloumi Sandwich is a recent favorite. It features a scrumptious pesto mayo spread and fresh veggies, both of which are the perfect counterpoint to the salty cheese.
You are going to love these simple, yet bold flavors! Plus, it's quick and easy enough to whip up for a fast lunch or a busy weeknight dinner.
Ready to try it for yourself? Then, keep reading for all the details!
Apart from the specialty cheese, this yummy sandwich uses really basic ingredients. Here's what you'll need:
- Baby Greens
- Ciabatta or Focaccia
Simple, right? But so tasty! And it's easy to customize, too ... I'm sharing some easy variations below.
What is Halloumi Cheese?
Halloumi has a mild, but salty flavor and a firm, somewhat rubbery texture. Don’t be surprised if it squeaks when you bite into it, similar to cheese curds! It's is ideal for frying and grilling, because it doesn't melt when heated.
The cheese was first produced on Cyprus, a small, island country that's located in the Mediterranean Sea. It’s most popular in the Mediterranean and Middle East, as well as the UK.
Where to Buy Halloumi
You can often find this unique cheese in the specialty cheese section of your local grocery store. If you can't find it locally, look online ... Amazon carries multiple brands (including this Kryssos brand cheese which I've used before).
Halloumi tends to be a little pricey here in the U.S. However, if your area has any Mediterranean, Greek, or Middle Eastern markets that carry it, you can usually find it for less. In the DFW area, Sara's Market in Richardson sells multiple brands.
How to Make a Halloumi Sandwich
This easy sandwich takes minutes to make ... here's how to do it.
You'll start by toasting the bread. I used a loaf of ciabatta to make these sandwiches, but focaccia would work well, too. You could even you use french bread.
Divide the loaf into four equal sandwich-size pieces, then split each piece in half horizontally. Brush the insides of each slice with olive oil.
Cook the bread (oil-side down) in a large skillet over medium heat, just until it's warm and golden brown. Depending on the size of your frying pan, you may need to do this in batches.
Tip: if it's taking a while for your bread to toast, press down on it gently while it cooks.
The cheese is next. Halloumi typically comes in a rectangular block, and you'll want to slice the block horizontally into four pieces.
Wipe out the pan you used for the bread, then add some olive oil. Place the cheese slices in the pan and cook until they're golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side.
You are basically just trying to warm up and soften the cheese, so don't let it get too dark.
Tip: You can also use grilled halloumi for this sandwich. To grill, brush both sides of the cheese with olive oil, then cook on both sides until you get grill marks and the cheese is warm and soft.
While the bread and halloumi are cooking, make the pesto sandwich spread. All you need to do is mix together homemade pesto (store bought works, too) and mayonnaise.
So simple, and sooo delightful ... you are going to want to eat this tasty spread on all your sandwiches once you try it!
Okay, time to assemble your sandwich. It's really easy:
- Spread pesto mayo on both sandwich halves.
- Top with a small handful of baby greens.
- Add a piece of fried halloumi.
- Layer sliced tomatoes over cheese.
And that's all there is to it ... your Halloumi Pesto Sandwich is ready to eat! Looks pretty mouthwatering, doesn't it?
This simple recipe is easy to change up. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Fresh Veggies - I kept this recipe pretty basic, but feel free to add other fresh vegetables like avocado, peppers, or cucumber. Or go the traditional route, and serve it with tomatoes and sliced onions. Herbs, such as basil or mint, would be tasty, too.
- Grilled / Roasted Veggies - Swap out the fresh tomatoes here for grilled vegetables or roasted veggies. Peppers, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini would all work great.
- Sauces - Changing up the sandwich spread is an easy way to customize this recipe. Instead of mixing the mayo with pesto, try blending it with sweet chili sauce, garlic and herbs, chipotles, sriracha, or honey mustard. A schmear of Romesco Sauce would be yummy, too.
- Pickled Onions - The bright flavor of pickled onions would be the perfect counterpart to this salty cheese.
- Double Cheese - Can't get enough halloumi? Instead of one slice of cheese, add two.
- Different Cheese - There really is no true substitute for the flavor of this distinctive cheese. However, you could also make this sandwich with Grilling Cheese or Juusto Cheese. Fried Feta would also be delish.
Looking for more halloumi recipes? Try these ideas next:
If you're looking for more quick and easy vegetarian sandwiches, then don't miss this Hummus Sandwich with Pesto, Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwiches, Tomato Avocado Sandwich, or this Brie and Apple Sandwich.
- 1 loaf ciabatta or focaccia
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (8.8 ounce; 250 grams) block halloumi cheese, cut into 4 horizontal slices
- 3 small tomatoes, sliced
- large handful baby greens
For Pesto Mayo:
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Cut bread into four pieces, then split each piece in half. Brush insides of bread with 4 teaspoons olive oil.
- When pan is hot, add bread oil-side down. Cook until bread is warm and golden. Set aside. (You may need to do this in batches, depending on pan size.)
- Wipe out pan, then add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place halloumi slices in pan, then cook over medium heat until light golden brown. Flip, then repeat on other side.
- Spread both sides of bread with pesto mayo, then top with baby greens. Add halloumi, then top with sliced tomato.
- Serve sandwiches immediately, while warm. Enjoy!
Prepare Pesto Mayo:
- While bread and halloumi cook, place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Mix until smooth, then stir in pesto.