Wake up to this healthy homemade granola … it’s easy to make and so delicious!
This post contains affiliate links.
Granola is one of those “health foods” that often gets a bad rap.
Sure, the store bought stuff is tasty. But it’s usually loaded with fat and sugar. Not to mention, all those mystery ingredients that are impossible to interpret.
Which is why I love making granola at home … so I can control exactly what goes into it!
If you’d like to try making homemade granola, then this is the recipe for you! It’s super delicious, extremely easy to make, wholesome, and you can customize it exactly to your own tastes.
If you’ve never made your own, this basic granola recipe is the perfect place to start!
It’s fast and easy to make, super crunchy, and full of flavor. Best of all, you can easily adjust the flavor of this healthy granola recipe by stirring in all sorts of delicious ingredients … like nuts, dried fruit, coconut (my fave!), and even chocolate.
More reasons to love this recipe? It’s affordable to make, especially when you start comparing it to the fancy, store-bought stuff. And if you’re trying to eat more whole foods and less junk, this homemade granola recipe is the perfect place to start. Personally, I love knowing exactly what’s in the food I eat!
Okay, have I convinced you to try this recipe yet? Then keep reading, because I’m going to walk you through the ingredients, the step-by-step process, and share lots of tips.
Homemade Granola Ingredients
This healthy homemade granola is made with simple ingredients … you may already have most of them in your pantry!
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Salt (I prefer Kosher salt.)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Mix-Ins, optional
Make sure to use Old Fashioned Rolled Oats for this recipe, not instant or quick-cooking oats. They don’t have the same texture.
I used sliced almonds for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite nuts. Almost any kind would work, and you can chop them up or leave them whole for a chunkier granola. You can also leave out the nuts altogether if you have an allergy or prefer nut-free granola.
My favorite way to customize this basic granola recipe is with mix-ins. You can add all sorts of things (like dried fruit or coconut), and I’m sharing tons of ideas below.
Vegan or Gluten-Free? Not only is this granola recipe healthy, but it’s also vegan. If you’d like to make it gluten-free, make sure to purchase gluten-free oats.
How to Make Granola
So let’s talk about how to make homemade granola. It really couldn’t be easier!
You are going to start by mixing together the dry ingredients: oats, nuts, cinnamon, and salt. Then, you’ll pour the wet ingredients (olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract) over the top.
Mix all of this together really well.
This cinnamon has a tendency to sink. So make sure to stir from the bottom of the bowl to really get everything.
Next, you’ll spread this mixture on a baking sheet.
I like to line the baking sheet with parchment paper. This makes clean up super easy!
Spread everything out evenly, then pop it in the oven for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, take the granola out of the oven and give it a stir.
Press down on the granola with the back of your spoon, then return it to the oven. Bake your homemade granola for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until it’s golden brown.
Let the granola cool on the baking tray without disturbing it. The granola will finish crisping as it cools.
Once it’s cooled to room temp, you can add any mix-ins (more info on those below).
Chunky Granola Tips
It seems like everyone loves clumpy, chunky granola. How about you?
Store bought granola has all kind of additives and sugar to help get those clumps. So it’s not surprising that getting chunky granola at home can actually be kind of tricky.
Here are some tips for getting clusters when making homemade granola:
- Cook the granola for 10 minutes, stir it, then press on it firmly with the back of a spoon. Continue baking until golden.
- Once it has turned golden, remove it from the oven. Then, gently press on it again with the spoon. Do not stir.
- Let the granola cool completely without disturbing it. This will help it stick together as it cools.
- Gently stir the completely cooled granola, breaking it up into chunks.
- For more chunks, increase the maple syrup to 1/3 cup.
Healthy Granola Mix-Ins
Time for my favorite part … the mix-ins!
This granola is super delicious all on its own. But if you want to take the flavor of this basic granola recipe to the next level, you can add all sorts of fun ingredients!
Feel free to add about 1 cup of mix-ins to your granola after it has cooled. Here are some ideas:
- Dried Fruit – Almost anything works! Try dried cranberries, blueberries, apricots, apples, etc. Make sure to cut large chunks of fruit into smaller, bite-size pieces before stirring it in.
- Coconut Chips – My favorite! I prefer adding coconut chips over shredded coconut, because they are super crunchy.
- Nuts and Seeds – I love adding nuts and seeds to granola. Get creative with sunflower seeds, chia seeds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, and more. You can use these ingredients in place of the sliced almonds or stir then into the baked oatmeal once it has cooled.
- Dark Chocolate – Have you ever had granola with chocolate? Yum, right? To keep things healthy, make sure to use dark chocolate which has less sugar. And if you’re truly a chocolate lover, you’ll want to check out my Chocolate Covered Cherry Granola, too!
Ways to Eat Granola
There are so many ways to eat this delicious homemade granola:
- Grab a handful for a snack. (Great for hiking!)
- Serve with milk, like you would cereal.
- Enjoy over or stirred into yogurt.
- Make a Yogurt Parfait.
- Enjoy with fresh berries.
- Sprinkle it over oatmeal.
- Use as a sundae topping.
- Serve over an open-faced peanut butter sandwich or bagel.
Basically, it’s good on everything!
How Long Does Homemade Granola Last?
One of the best things about this healthy granola is that it lasts quite a while … as long as you don’t eat it first, of course!
Homemade granola will keep for a few weeks, which means it’s great for meal prep and is an excellent make ahead breakfast.
This Healthy Homemade Granola is the perfect make ahead breakfast!
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds (or other nuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut chips, dried fruit, chopped chocolate, etc. (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine oats, almonds, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl; mix well.
Pour olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract over oats. Stir until oats are evenly coated.
Transfer oats to baking sheet, spreading in an even layer.
Bake oats for 10 minutes. Mix well, then press mixture down with back of spoon.
Cook oats for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool completely, then stir in any mix-ins.
Serve granola immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to eat.
*For clumpier granola, see tips above recipe and consider increasing maple syrup to 1/3 cup.
Did You Love this Healthy Granola Recipe?
If you enjoyed this easy homemade granola, then you’ll enjoy these recipes, too!
- Chocolate-Covered Cherry Granola
- Easy Yogurt Parfait
- Mango Parfait
- Tropical Breakfast Parfait
- Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries, Bananas, and Nuts
- How to Make Overnight Oats
What is your favorite way to eat granola?