Warm up with this delicious Healthy Mexican Quinoa Casserole … it’s full of flavor and so simple to prepare!
There is so much temptation to eat unhealthily at this time of year. Sweets, rich meals, and cocktails are everywhere!
Although I’m not one to pass up an indulgence (I wish I had the willpower), I do like to temper all the fattening options with healthier choices. Cookie calories don’t count if you eat a salad first, right?!?
This healthy Mexican Quinoa Casserole is so delicious and filling that you won’t miss the treats!
Mexican Quinoa Casserole
I created this casserole a few years ago as a way to use up the odds and ends filling my refrigerator. It’s been a favorite ever since.
This is my kind of comfort food. It’s hot and cheesy, but it’s also packed with vegetables and filling quinoa. The Mexican seasonings pull everything together, and really, who doesn’t love Mexican food?
These best thing about this healthy Mexican Quinoa Casserole is how flexible it is. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add other vegetables, such a red pepper or corn.
- Replace the quinoa with rice or even fresh corn tortilla strips.
- Swap the cheese for Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack, or leave it off altogether for a vegan meal.
- Skip the baking for a quick bowl meal.
- Top the finished casserole with fresh cilantro.
- Substitute salsa for the tomatoes and chilies.
- Use kale instead of spinach.
- Replace the black beans with pinto beans.
I could keep going, but you get the idea. Make this healthy Mexican Quinoa Casserole the next time you’re craving comfort food and have fun putting your own spin on it.
Doesn’t it look cheesy and delicious? Make some tonight and dig in!
Serve this Mexican Quinoa Casserole anytime you're craving something delicious and healthy ... it's total comfort food!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped (plus a couple teaspoonfuls of adobo sauce)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and chilies (such as Rotel)
- 1/2 cup black olives, halved
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a medium casserole dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
Combine broth and quinoa in a medium pot. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; then cover pot and simmer until broth is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat.
Add onion to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and starting to brown.
Stir zucchini into onion and cook until it starts to brown around the edges, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat to medium and allow skillet to cool for a few minutes.
Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt to vegetables. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
Stir in chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, black beans, tomatoes, and olives. Cook until just heated through.
Turn off heat and stir in spinach.
When quinoa is ready, combine it into the vegetable mixture. Season with additional salt, if desired.
Place half of the mixture in a medium casserole. Top with half the cheese.
Cover cheese with remainder of mixture. Then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake casserole for 10 to 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
What is your favorite healthy meal during the holidays?