Treat yourself to an amazing Hummus Sandwich with Pesto and Veggies … it’s packed with flavor and delicious, healthy ingredients!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’ve been a vegetarian for a while, then you tend to see certain things pop up on menus again and again.
There’s the ubiquitous portabella sandwich, the ever-present pasta primavera, the stereotypical veggie burger, and of course, the old-standby: grilled cheese. It’s not that I don’t like any of those items (and I certainly don’t expect to be catered to) … I mean, I love portabella mushrooms, and I have my own version of pasta primavera that’s delish. I’ve also created many recipes for veggie burgers and grilled cheese. But when it’s the only veg-friendly item on the menu, a little creativity would certainly be appreciated.
Another item I’m always slightly disappointed to see on menus is the humble Hummus Sandwich. It’s usually kind of boring, and definitely something I could recreate at home with much better results.
Which brings us to my Hummus Sandwich with Pesto and Veggies … this is no boring veg sandwich recipe! This tasty sandwich is positively packed with flavor and creative ingredients, and you have to try it!
This yummy vegan sandwich was inspired by a meal I ate at Lincoln’s Haberdashery in Charlotte, North Carolina.
I was in Charlotte for a quick vacation, and a friend recommended this spot. And there it was on the menu … dum dum dum … the Garden Party aka hummus sandwich. Although I was a little disappointed I, ordered it anyway.
Well, that Garden Party was not the dull sandwich I was expecting. In fact, I’d say it was the best version of the classic hummus sandwich that I’ve ever had. Instead of your typical veggie and hummus combo, their version was made with flavorful mint chutney and tomato salad, among other delicious ingredients. It was a.ma.zing.
So of course, I had to make my own version when I got home … with a few twists!
(And by the way, Lincoln’s Haberdashery also has a grilled cheese on their menu that I’m sure is amazing, too. Definitely stop by if you’re ever in Charlotte!)
Here’s what you’re going to need to make this heavenly sandwich:
- Hummus – I used my basic, go-to, never fail recipe, but flavored varieties like my Sun Dried Tomato Hummus, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Chipotle Hummus, or Olive Hummus would be tasty, too.
- Pesto – My Mixed-Herb Pesto is included in this recipe, but other pestos work, too.
- Greens – I used a mix of baby lettuce, but arugula, spinach, etc. would also work.
- Quick Pickled Onions – They make anything better!
- Grape Tomatoes – Tomato slices would work, too.
- Ciabatta Rolls – Or another similar, high quality roll … I used these Telera Rolls.
How to Make a Hummus Sandwich
There are many ways to make this classic vegetarian sandwich recipe. I’d like to submit that this Hummus Pesto Sandwich is one of the best!
This sandwich recipe takes a bit of up front prep work, but once you’ve made / gathered the ingredients, it’s super simple to assemble.
Prep the Sandwich Components
The first thing you’ll want to do is prepare the hummus, pesto, and pickled onions. I’ve included links for my classic hummus recipe and my pickled onions in the recipe card. Both are easy to make and can be prepped ahead of time.
You are going to love the flavorful mixed-herb pesto that I created for this recipe! It’s the perfect way to use up bits and bobs of leftover herbs in your fridge. I used parsley, cilantro, and mint, but other herbs would work, too (just use a light hand with anything super strong, like oregano).
Assemble the Sandwich
Once you have all the components, it’s time to start assembling.
Spread a generous amount of that fresh pesto on the ciabatta rolls, then top the bottom of your sandwich with a handful of greens. Add a generous amount of hummus, and then the fresh tomatoes and pickled onions.
And that’s it! Your delightful, not-boring-at-all Hummus Sandwich with Pesto and Veggies is ready!
This is a very messy sandwich by the way, as you might expect with all that hummus. You’ve been warned!
How to Make this Sandwich a Little Easier
Given all those homemade ingredients, I realize that this sandwich might take a little longer to prepare than most. Don’t let that deter you on busy weeknights however!
To speed things along, you could use store-bought hummus (my fave brand is Sabra) and pesto (if you’re vegan, keep in mind most pre-made pesto is not). You could also replace the pickled red onions with thinly sliced raw onions, or even pickle slices. The sandwich won’t taste exactly the same, but I’m sure it will still be quite tempting.
You can also save time by preparing the hummus, pesto, and pickled onions ahead of time. They really are quite simple to make, and everything will hold well in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches.
Whether you make it totally from scratch or cheat a little, this is one veggie sandwich you are sure to love!
If you enjoyed this yummy Hummus Sandwich and are looking for similar recipes, try one of these sandwiches next:
- Korean BBQ Tofu Sliders
- Brie and Apple Sandwiches
- Tomato Avocado Sandwich with Creamy Yogurt Dressing
- Crunchy Vegetable Wrap with Peanut Coconut Sauce
- Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
And check out my other hummus recipes while you’re at it, too:
- How to Make Hummus (the BEST, most authentic recipe + tons of tips and recipe variations)
- Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
- Roasted Veggie Bowl
- Layered Greek Hummus
Hummus Sandwich with Pesto and Veggies
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup mint (lightly packed)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Pulse garlic clove in a food processor until minced, then add almonds and pulse until ground.
- Add parsley, cilantro, and mint to garlic mixture; pulse until chopped.
- With motor running, add olive oil. Continue blending until pesto is totally smooth.
- Season pesto with salt (to taste), then set aside.
- Split ciabatta rolls in half. Spread pesto on both halves.
- Top sandwich bottom with a small handful of greens, then carefully spread 1/3 cup hummus over greens.
- Lightly press 6 tomatoes (12 halves) into hummus and add pickled onions to taste. Cover sandwich with top half of roll.
- Serve sandwiches immediately. Enjoy!
What are your favorite sandwich toppings?