Treat yourself to this amazing Vegan Hummus Sandwich! This unique twist on the classic sandwich is flavored with pesto and loaded with veggies. You're going to love this easy, delicious recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you've been a vegetarian for a while, you tend to see certain things pop up on menus again and again. There's the ubiquitous portobello sandwich, the ever-present pasta primavera, the traditional veggie burger, and of course, the old-standby: grilled cheese. Another item you'll often find on menus ... the classic hummus sando!
While I love the idea of this sandwich, sometimes it feels a little basic. Recently though, I tried an especially delicious version while on vacation in Charlotte, and I couldn't resist recreating it when I returned home. This flavor-packed Vegan Hummus Sandwich is the result!
You are going to love this mouthwatering sandwich! Between the layers of hummus, pesto, pickled onions, and fresh veggies, it's positively packed with flavor!
This Hummus Pesto Sandwich recipe takes a bit of prep work up front, but once you've made the different components, it's super simple to assemble. And if you're in a hurry, you can save time by using store bought hummus and pesto ... perfect for busy weeknights!
Ready to dig into this delicious sandwich? Keep scrolling for all the details!
Here's what you're going to need to make this heavenly sandwich:
- Hummus - I used my go-to Hummus recipe for this sandwich, but store bought hummus can also be used. You can also experiment with other flavors, too,
- Pesto - These sandwiches feature with a delicious Mixed-Herb Pesto that's made with a combination of fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil. If you'd like, you can substitute Basil Pesto (skip the cheese to keep it vegan) or another pesto flavor. Store bought pesto may also be used.
- Pickled Onions - If you've never made homemade Pickled Onions before, you are missing out. They're super easy to prepare with just four ingredients (vinegar, red onions, and salt and pepper), and they make practically anything better!
- Greens - I used a mix of baby lettuce, but arugula, spinach, or other greens would also work.
- Tomatoes - Sweet grape tomatoes add lots of flavor, although sliced tomatoes can also be used.
- Bread - Use high quality rolls or slices of artisan bread for this sandwich. These Ciabatta Rolls are similar to the rolls I used.
This recipe is naturally vegetarian, vegan, and dairy free! If you'd like to make it gluten free, substitute your favorite GF bread (like these ciabatta rolls).
You'll Also Need
You'll need a food processor (or high speed blender) to prepare the hummus and pesto, a knife to prep the veggies, and a bowl to pickle the onions.
How to Make a Vegan Hummus Sandwich
This recipe has a few steps, but they're all super easy ... you can even prep the components in advance! You'll find a detailed recipe card below, but here's an overview of the steps:
- Pickle the onions. Start with the onions first, that way they'll have time to pickle while you prepare the other ingredients. You're simply going to heat some vinegar, sugar, and salt in your microwave until hot, then add the red onions.
- Make the hummus. Next, you'll make the hummus. Start by pulsing a garlic clove in your food processor until minced, then add the chickpeas (plus a little liquid from the can), tahini, lemon juice, salt. Process this mixture until it's smooth.
- Prepare the pesto. Once the pesto is done, you'll prepare the pesto. Begin by pulsing the garlic and almonds in your food processor until minced. Then add parsley, cilantro, and mint to garlic mixture. When the herbs are chopped, stream in the olive oil, then continue blending the pesto until it's totally smooth.
- Assemble the sandwich. Now that your three main components are ready, you can put the sandwiches together. Slather a generous amount of pesto on the ciabatta rolls, then add a handful of greens. Top the greens with the hummus, and then the fresh tomatoes and pickled onions.
And that's all there is to it ... your homemade Vegan Hummus Sandwich with Pesto and Veggies is ready to eat! This is a very messy sandwich by the way ... as you might expect with all that hummus. You've been warned!
Tip: Save time by preparing the hummus, pesto, and pickled onions ahead of time. These ingredients hold well in the refrigerator, and once they're made you can assemble these sandwiches in minutes!
This Hummus Veggie Sandwich is super delicious as-is, but there are so many fun ways to customize the flavor! Try one of these ideas if you feel like experimenting:
- Hummus - Different pesto flavors would also work great in this sandwich. Try my Sun Dried Tomato Hummus, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Chipotle Hummus, Red Pepper Hummus, or Olive Hummus to change things up.
- Pesto - The Mixed-Herb Pesto used in this recipe is perfect for using up bits of leftover herbs. Feel free to use different combinations of herbs (use a light hand with strong herbs, like thyme and oregano). You could also substitute a different pesto altogether, such as my Classic Basil Pesto, Rosemary Pesto, Macadamia Pesto, Kale Pesto, Cilantro Pesto, or the basil-spinach pesto I used on this Green Veggie Pizza.
- Veggies - Experiment with other fresh, roasted, or Grilled Veggies, like zucchini, red peppers, avocado, and more. These Roasted Grape Tomatoes would be delish!
- Olives + Capers - Add a delicious briny note, by throwing on some olives or capers.
- Faster - To save time and make this recipe quicker to prepare, either prep the hummus, pesto, and onions in advance, or use store bought hummus (I like Sabra) and pesto. Just keep in mind that most pesto is not vegan (this one is!). You could also replace the pickled onions with thinly sliced raw onions or even pickle slices.
This sandwich tastes best when freshly made, however you can prep the various components (hummus, pesto, and pickled onions in advance), then assemble the sandwiches when it's time to eat. If you do, store them in airtight containers in your refrigerator for up to four days.
Craving more scrumptious sandwich ideas? Try one of these delicious recipes next:
- Tomato Toast
- Korean BBQ Tofu Sliders
- Avocado Tomato Sandwich
- Vegetable Wraps with Peanut Coconut Sauce
- Spicy Chickpea Sandwich
- Veggie Muffaletta
- Mexican Black Bean Wraps
Vegan Hummus Sandwich
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ½ cup Italian parsley (lightly packed)
- ½ cup cilantro (lightly packed)
- ½ cup mint (lightly packed)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Pulse garlic clove in a food processor until minced, then add almonds and pulse until ground.
- Add parsley, cilantro, and mint to garlic mixture; pulse until chopped.
- With motor running, add olive oil. Continue blending until pesto is totally smooth.
- Season pesto with salt (to taste), then set aside.
- Split ciabatta rolls in half. Spread pesto on both halves.
- Top sandwich bottom with a small handful of greens, then carefully spread ⅓ cup hummus over greens.
- Lightly press 6 tomatoes (12 halves) into hummus and add pickled onions to taste. Cover sandwich with top half of roll.
- Serve sandwiches immediately. Enjoy!
What are your favorite sandwich toppings?