Love kale? Then, this scrumptious Kale Pizza is for you!
Once you try it, you are going to crave this easy recipe featuring homemade Kale Pesto and sautéed kale, plus fresh tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, and feta. Make it tonight!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I once had someone tell me that it was impossible to like (let alone love) kale. He just did not believe me when I said it was one of my favorite vegetables.
Well, I guess that means more for me and you! Personally, I can't get enough. And there are so many ways delicious ways to use this leafy, green veggie, from salads to soups to lasagna ... yes, even pizza.
If you've never had kale on pizza before, you are in for a treat ... it's so delicious!
This tasty Kale Pizza actually delivers a double dose with both Kale Pesto and garlicky Sautéed Kale! Plus, a few other ingredients—including tomatoes, olives, and feta—that turn this pizza into one you won't be able to resist!
Ready to try this yummy recipe for yourself? Then keep reading for all the details!
You can find the ingredients for this pizza in any grocery store. Here's what you'll need:
- Pizza Dough
- Homemade Kale Pesto
- Fresh Kale (plus, Olive Oil and Garlic to cook it)
- Grape Tomatoes
- Kalamata Olives (or your fave olives)
- Mozzarella + Feta Cheese
To keeps things easy, I usually use store bought pizza dough. Many grocery stores have bags in their deli sections, or if you have an Italian grocery store nearby, you can probably get it from there. Some pizza places sell it, too.
You'll Also Need
To make this recipe, you'll also need a large skillet to cook the greens, and a food processor to make the pesto. And of course, you'll want to get out your pizza pan (a baking sheet also works in a pinch). If you need a new one, I can't recommend this USA Pan Pizza Pan enough ... I love mine!
I used my favorite toppings on this Kale Pesto Pizza, however it's super easy to change things up according to your tastes or the ingredients you have on hand. Here are some suggestions:
- Sauce - This recipe is a great way to use up leftovers, so if you have another kind of pesto on hand, feel free to use that instead. You could also use a traditional tomato pizza sauce if you prefer.
- Veggies - Change things up by adding your fave veggies, like garlicky fried mushrooms or roasted butternut squash or sweet potatoes.
- Cheese - Top this pizza with your fave cheese. Goat cheese, blue cheese, or dollops of ricotta would be delicious instead of feta. You could also mix the mozzarella with some Parmesan, provolone, or even cheddar.
- Keep it 100% Green - If you're truly a kale lover, turn this into a Green Pizza by skipping the other veggies. You could even add more of your favorite leafy green!
Home to Make Kale Pizza
This recipe is simple to make, although it does have a few easy steps. Before starting, remove your pizza dough from the refrigerator (if necessary). That way, it can warm up while you prep the other ingredients.
Making the Pesto
The easy sauce is the first step. Start by finely chopping the garlic and walnuts (other nuts—or even seeds, like pepitas—work, too) in your food processor.
Next, add the kale, olive oil, and Parmesan, plus a little lemon juice and salt. You'll blend these ingredients together until your sauce is smooth.
When everything is combined, taste the pesto, then add more lemon juice and salt to taste. The flavors should pop!
Sautéing the Kale
Set your sauce aside for now, then heat a little olive oil, fresh garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes in a large skillet. When it start sizzling and smells good, add the kale and toss well.
Drizzle a couple tablespoons of water into the skillet, then cover the pan immediately. Steam the kale until it's tender ... it should take about five to six minutes.
Remove the lid, and if there's any excess water in the pan, continue cooking until it evaporates. (This helps you avoid soggy pizza.) Once it's dry, season the kale to taste with salt.
Tip: if you're planning to make this recipe on a busy weeknight, prep the pesto and sautéed kale ahead of time.
Assembling the Pizza
Okay, you're ready to assemble your pie! Here's how to do it:
- Spread the pizza dough on a large pan (mine is 14-inches) using your hands. If it won't hold its shape, let it rest for a few minutes before continuing to spread it.
- Top the dough with HALF of the pesto. Save the rest for another use.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cups mozzarella over the sauce.
- Add your toppings: kale, feta, grape tomatoes, and kalamata olives (or any kind of olive).
- Sprinkle another ½ cup of mozzarella over the top.
Tips: put your tomatoes on the pizza cut side up. That way, they won't make your pizza soggy. Also, try cutting your feta in cubes, rather than crumbling it into small pieces ... you'll get a more concentrated flavor.
Time to bake! Pop your pizza into your preheated oven, then bake it until the crust is golden brown.
It should take about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. The cheese on top should have a little color when it's done, too.
That's all there is to it ... your delicious Kale Pizza is ready to eat.
Doesn't it look gorgeous? And rest assured, it tastes even better than it looks. Yum!
This veggie-packed pizza makes an excellent dinner all on its own. If you'd like to round out your meal though, serve it with a Quick Chopped Salad, or for something super light, a refreshing Watermelon Salad. This easy Garlic Bread (or Cheesy Garlic Bread) would also be tasty.
If you love kale on pizza, make sure to check out my Roasted Fall Vegetable Pizza, too ... it also features this delicious green veggie! And this Kale Pesto Pasta uses the same sauce. It would be the perfect way to use up the leftovers from this pizza.
Looking for more pizza recipes? Try one of these next:
- Caprese Pizza ... my all-time favorite!
- Grilled Pizza
- White Pizza with Broccoli and Ricotta
- Pesto, Feta, and Veggie Pizza
- Gorgonzola Pear Pizza
- Green Pizza ... one of my most popular recipes!
Are you pesto lover? Then you need this How to Use Pesto guide, which has over 30 recipe ideas, plus more variations on your fave sauce.
For Kale Pesto:
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups chopped kale (packed)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For Sautéed Kale:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt
- 6 cups chopped kale
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ pint grapes tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup halved kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pulse walnuts and garlic clove in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add kale, olive oil, Parmesan, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and salt. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Taste, then season with additional lemon juice and salt, if desired. Set aside.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When garlic is sizzling and fragrant, mix in kale.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the kale mixture, then cover pan immediately. Steam kale for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove lid from kale, then continue cooking for another minute, or until all excess water evaporates. Season to taste with salt, then set aside.
- Spray a large pizza pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray (or coat very lightly with olive oil). Top with pizza dough, then use your hands to spread dough across pan.
- Spread half the pesto over the crust (save the rest for another use). Then, top with 1 ½ cups mozzarella, sautéed kale, feta, grape tomatoes, olives, and remaining ½ cup mozzarella (in that order).
- Bake pizza for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Cut pizza into wedges, then serve hot. Enjoy!