This yummy Lentil Brown Rice Salad with tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and a balsamic vinaigrette makes a great weeknight meal!
I like to create a simple weekly meal plan.
If I’m staring into our refrigerator at 7:00 pm trying to come up with dinner ideas, I will most likely end up on the phone with our favorite Mexican place instead of cooking a healthy dinner! #truth
A meal plan takes away the stress of planning a meal, since I already know what's on the menu.
I like to keep it super easy during the week. Some of my favorite time saving meals are hands-off crock pot recipes, big salads (ala Elaine from Seinfeld), and one pot dinners, such as soups or curries.
Or, this yummy Lentil Brown Rice Salad!
Often, I’ll cook a big pot of brown rice early in the week and use it for multiple meals. That’s what I did when I came up with this week's meal plan:
- Quick Coconut Curry with Chickpeas and Spinach over Brown Rice
- Lentil Brown Rice Salad (recipe follows)
- Creamy Tomato Soup and Garlic Bread
- Crunchy Black Bean Tacos and Steamed Corn
- Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwiches with Orange Slices
Lentil Brown Rice Salad
I love this Lentil Brown Rice Salad because it's simple to make, delicious, and can be customized with your fave ingredients ... like different cheeses, fresh veggies, artichokes, olives, and so much more!
This Lentil Brown Rice Salad makes a tasty main dish, but it works great on the side do.
I love this versatile recipe, and I know you will, too! Give it a try tonight.
Lentil Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup black lentils
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (cold)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1 package cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- Cook lentils in boiling, salted water until tender, but firm (they should hold their shape). Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine lentils, rice, cucumber, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add dressing, feta, and basil. Toss until well mixed. Adjust seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve salad at room temperature or cold. Enjoy!
What is your favorite weekday meal recipe?