This yummy Lentil Brown Rice Salad with tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and a balsamic vinaigrette makes a great weeknight meal!
I like to create a simple weekly meal plan.
If I’m staring into our refrigerator at 7:00 pm trying to come up with dinner ideas, I will most likely end up on the phone with our favorite Mexican place instead of cooking a healthy dinner! #truth
A meal plan takes away the stress of planning a meal, since I already know what’s on the menu.
I like to keep it super easy during the week. Some of my favorite time saving meals are hands-off crock pot recipes, big salads (ala Elaine from Seinfeld), and one pot dinners, such as soups or curries.
Or, this yummy Lentil Brown Rice Salad!
Often, I’ll cook a big pot of brown rice early in the week and use it for multiple meals. That’s what I did when I came up with this week’s meal plan:
- Quick Coconut Curry with Chickpeas and Spinach over Brown Rice
- Lentil Brown Rice Salad (recipe follows)
- Creamy Tomato Soup and Garlic Bread
- Crunchy Black Bean Tacos and Steamed Corn
- Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwiches with Orange Slices
Lentil Brown Rice Salad
I love this Lentil Brown Rice Salad because it’s simple to make, delicious, and can be customized with your fave ingredients … like different cheeses, fresh veggies, artichokes, olives, and so much more!
This Lentil Brown Rice Salad makes a tasty main dish, but it works great on the side do.
I love this versatile recipe, and I know you will, too! Give it a try tonight.
Lentil Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup black lentils
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (cold)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1 package cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- Cook lentils in boiling, salted water until tender, but firm (they should hold their shape). Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine lentils, rice, cucumber, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add dressing, feta, and basil. Toss until well mixed. Adjust seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve salad at room temperature or cold. Enjoy!
What is your favorite weekday meal recipe?