This Mexican Black Bean Wrap is the perfect summer meal ... no cooking required!
The heat and humidity have officially settled in here, and I'll pretty much do anything to avoid standing over a hot stove.
Which means that I'm continually on the hunt for no cook summer recipes.
One thing I always love eating in summer is a delicious sandwich. They're so easy to throw together, and you can really get creative with ingredients. After making my Chinese Chopped Salad last week, I had some leftover ingredients that I decided to turn into a sandwich.
The result is this Mexican Black Bean Wrap with Avocado and Tri-Color Slaw.
Mexican Black Bean Wrap
There's no cooking required, making these wraps the perfect recipe for these hot summer days we're experiencing.
This Mexican Black Bean Wrap is filled with delicious mashed beans and avocado (no cheese necessary). I used those leftover ingredients to create a super tasty tri-color slaw. The crunchy slaw pairs perfectly with the creamy beans and avocado, and a tortilla holds everything together.
Try this recipe during your next heat wave or sooner!
Mexican Black Bean Wrap with Avocado & Tri-Color Slaw
- ¼ small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 large tortillas
- Combine cabbage, carrots, red pepper, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Toss lightly.
- Cut lime in half. Slice one-half into four wedges. Set aside.
- Juice the other lime half. Add the juice to the vegetables, along with the olive oil, cumin, and salt.
- Mix slaw well. Set aside.
Prepare black beans:
- Drain black beans lightly but do not rinse. Place them in a medium bowl.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to the black beans. Using a potato masher, mash the beans and spices together until the beans are about ¾ smashed.
- Stir beans well. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary. Set aside.
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface. Spread center of tortilla with ¼ of the black beans.
- Top beans with ¼ of the sliced avocado, then ¼ of the slaw.
- Fold up tortilla like a burrito.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make four wraps.
- Serve wraps with lime wedges. Enjoy!
What is your favorite summer sandwich?