Learn how to make a delicious Chinese Chopped Salad, plus get my tips for getting back on track with a healthy diet and exercise routine (even if it's been a while).
Today is the first Monday of July, and that means it’s time for another edition of my monthly series, Motivation Monday. For me, healthy living is all about motivation. It’s about finding the motivation to skip a second helping, go for a walk, or cook instead of ordering takeout . Each Motivation Monday features easy tips and a healthy recipe.
Last month, my goal was to lose weight. Easier said than done, right? Well, the month started off well, but then I got a little sidetracked. Oops.
So my goal for July is simply to get back on track. I'm also sharing a Chinese Chopped Salad recipe that is super delicious!
My plan last month was to:
- Watch portion sizes.
- Cut out unhealthy snacks.
- Exercise regularly.
- Track my exercise and everything I eat.
I did okay with this some days, but I seemed to lose focus most afternoon. These are all important keys to losing weight, so I'll continue to work on these things.
Weight loss is a long, slow process, and having smaller goals has always helped me maintain motivation. Starting today, I'm going to be doing this 30 day plank challenge.
Basically, this challenge takes you from a 20 second plank to a 5 minute plank in 30 days. There's even an app for tracking progress. Let me know if you want to join me, and we can suffer through it together!
How to Make Chinese Chopped Salad
If you're trying to lose weight like me - or even if you're not - this Chinese Chopped Salad is a great recipe.
It's full of crunchy vegetables, sweet mandarin oranges, and savory baked tofu (sub your favorite protein if you're not a tofu fan). Everything is tossed with a lightly sweetened soy vinaigrette and topped with sliced almonds for even more crunch.
This Chinese Chopped Salad is so delish .... your whole family is sure to love it!
Chinese Chopped Salad
For Salad Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (use tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon honey (use maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups sugar snap peas cut into thirds
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package baked tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- ½ small head red cabbage, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (11-ounce) can Mandarin oranges, drained
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
Prepare Salad Dressing:
- Combine olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Place peas, carrots, onions, tofu, romaine, red pepper, cabbage, cilantro, and Mandarin oranges in a large bowl.
- Pour salad dressing over vegetables and toss gently.
- Serve salad sprinkled with sliced almonds. Enjoy!
Loved this Motivation Monday post?
If you enjoyed these easy tips for eating and living healthier, make sure to check out all of my Motivation Monday posts!
- Spicy Chili Pepper Edamame + Healthy Snack Ideas
- Berry Green Smoothie + Tips for Creating an Exercise Routine
- Easy Asian Dumpling Soup + Tips for Getting Better Sleep
- Mango Parfait + Revisiting Goals
- Picnic Recipes + Enjoying the Outdoors
- Greek Quinoa Salad + Tips for Losing Weight
Have you ever tried to lose weight? How did you maintain your motivation?